Could Anyone Help 3D Print a Replacement Battery Door for a WM-FX290? Thanks

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by stereomecha99, Mar 18, 2021.

1. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

Hi all, hope you're well and it's been a while since I've posted here.

Just got done refurbing an old WM-FX290 Walkman with FM, AM and TV bands. Everything is perfect but sadly the battery door does not close shut, and this is because the part that clicks in place to shut it has sadly been broken off somehow. I notice that the whole door is basically a separate plastic piece that connects to the main Walkman body with a metal hinge, so theoretically I could just yank it off and put another one in.

If anyone has a WM-FX290 and the means to print a replacement door, how feasible would that be? It would probably be fairly hard to relay every single dimension of the door over the internet but I'm sure I could also do that if it's required. I suspect that if this has happened to me then others will have experienced this! It's a real shame since it's a lovely little unit from the end of the tape Walkman era.
    fx290-1.jpg

162491551_1078655339312102_3727158978380556784_n.jpg

Thanks for reading!

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I hate to say it but no one is going to put the effort in to 3d mapping a door for this unit, even if they did the finish would be nowhere near the original quality. Buy a donor on Ebay, there is a parts unit i bet you could win for the opening bid..

stereomecha99 likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I agree with T-Ster. On the Lava Lamp forum people were surprised when someone managed to print new caps for an old lava lamp. The only way they managed was because they had access to a $10000 3D scanner and even then they needed a couple of attempts to get the right material etc.

4. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

Thanks for the help and the unfortunate yet realistic reminder that it wouldn't really be worth it. Also T-ster I'll end up doing that most likely, I hope that other model is trashed as I'd feel bad salvaging a door from another working unit. I might look into trying to get something done myself but wouldn't be a priority

5. WheelyPanamax2

WheelyPanamax2 Active Member

Great find/refurbishment! Bummer about the tape door; this isn't exact, but I have had great luck with plastic 2-part epoxy. I HIGHLY recommend testing it, but you may be able to create the part you are missing out of epoxy (build the basic shape and carve it down) and then epoxy it in the missing part. Not exact, but easy. Good luck!

6. RTB

RTB Member

I sold a fully working one at the end of last year - I'm sure you can find a donor unit on ebay.
    I bought it in a job lot for about £6, it was working and only needed a spring clean.

20201127_144800.jpg