Custom-made WM-W800/WM-10/etc front door replacement?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by kaisparkle, May 17, 2018.

1. kaisparkle

kaisparkle New Member

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever designed and/or manufactured a door replacement for the WM-10 style doors, especially for the WM-W800.

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Is the door your concern or the clear glass window ??
    Usually door is not the main problem for these models but the clear glass window is the major issue.

3. kaisparkle

kaisparkle New Member

Mostly, yeah. My WM-F15 uses a tinted piece of plastic.

4. Boodokhan

I have researched how to make the clear plastic window for WM-800. No luck so far
    I talked to different 3D experts in LA to print this part for me but the problem with 3D is you cannot print clear glass with 3D.
    There is a clear plastic window for D6C available on Ebay but haven't seen any for WM-800 or Wm-10/20/30.

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

The only replacement window I made was for the WM10 ii/WM30. Used a 1.5mm sheet or clear acrylic. Should be easy enough to create one for the WM10/20's too. Will need a machine to cut and route/machine away the lower parts of the window.

6. Boodokhan

Can you please place some pictures of the replacement window for WM-30 or Wm-10?
    Any idea how to do the same for WM-W800 since it has different color design/ logo on it?

7. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Here is one I made for a blue wm 30 that I sold on ebay sometime ago. Not an exact duplication but very close.

IMG_1852.jpg IMG_1854.jpg

Nak D, Boodokhan and Jorge like this.
  8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to cast one from transparent resin using a silicone mold? Providing that you have another door lying around to make the mold.

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

cutting from a sheet of acrylic, as @buzbox suggested. sounds more doable, but how do you print all those pretty markings? Sticky transparency?

10. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Printed. Created the image in Adobe Illustrator then reversed the image and printed onto the acrylic sheet. To cut it out I just manually cut it. I scored the edges and snapped them off. The rounded edge was tougher but got it as close as I can then I used a file to finish it off. Polished up the edges with a dremel tool to get the transparency. The chrome parts was the hardest thing to replicate. Took me ages to find something chrome. I was able to use some chrome vinyl (car wrap). Finally some thin double sided tape and presto!!!!

Jorge and Boodokhan like this.
  11. Boodokhan

@buzbox , Your work on making this part is excellent.
    Is this one available for sale? Also, can you make the window for WM-W800??

12. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I don't have any for sale. Not able to make one for the WM W800 as I don't have one of those players anymore. I'm sure I could try to make one but would take a lot of time as it is more complicated.