Cybernet Young Man PS-101 (1981)

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by ottologue, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ottologue

ottologue New Member

[​IMG]

With Sony TPS-L2's success in the world of Walkman portables, Cybernet released a 1:1 copy-clone of Sony's flagship - designated by model no. PS-101. The year was 1981. In the US market, Cybernet has branded this cassette player with 'IntiMate' as opposed to Young Man (seen in these images).

[​IMG]

I acquired this example a couple of months back, as I was fascinated by how Cybernet's ability to carbon-copy, enact a few minor changes (eg. TPS-L2's HOT LINE button, PS-101's TALK button) without surfacing up on Sony Corporation's (Japan) legal radar teams. The price point of a PS-101 is not as astronomical as a TPS-L2 back then and present day. The colourway on the PS-101 is a two-tone dark grey with silver side. Energization via 4 x AA batteries, with an optional DC IN 6V.

[​IMG]

I have been wanting to do a side-by-side photologue - PS-101 with TPS-L2 for the longest time, but have been putting it off. Perhaps, in the coming weeks, the motivation will kick in - soon.

///////

Cassette Player: Cybernet PS-101
    Cassette Tape: Depeche Mode - Violator
    Headphones: AIAIAI Tracks (Black)

Thanks for visiting.

stuck-in-time likes this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Here in the UK, Cybernet were best known for their CB rigs.
    Here is mine, bought in 1981, just months after CB became legal here.

Cybernet.jpg

Although there were dozens of makes of rigs available about 30% were made by Cybernet (Kyocera),
    with the same board inside and just different variations of front panel with brands such as Rotel.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rotel+cb+rig&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=wuz6dHe2FMxa4M%3A%2C7-9E3UEJQTyqBM%2C_&usg=__jbbXvPbztSsGnob9IiY5nzi0WC0=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvuLq7oY3cAhWLSsAKHS2TBjwQ9QEIXzAN#imgrc=5nqcbOqQnSQMoM:&spf=1530975871186

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

The buttons remember me the Infinity Intimate, that was a licensed model by AKAI...
    Nice photos, BTW