D6 with issues

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Squiggly, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

Pretty sure this is the right place to post this but im not 100% so dont scream at me if it isnt pls

So i got a wm-d6 off of ebay for a pretty good price online, and it has only a few issues, ill list them

Motor is constantly whirring
    Pause button doesnt fully work (i dont really care im never going to use it)
    Speed is super fast and the speed tuner on the back has no effect

By the way i checked the inside, its never been opened, screws are still tight, og sony tape is still there, original belt (i replaced it already)

I cant imagine what the speed issue would be since its quartz lock

Not sure if anyone on here is educated on these and might know the issue but i definitely dont, i thought maybe the quartz inside of the tube broke? but i cant find anything online about it so im just going to leave it for now

Anyways any help on this is appreciated

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know your skill level but I like to start easy and use DeOxit and FaderLube, they get the oxidation off the metal in the switches. ARKAY used to post a ton on here in the old days and here's a link to his DeOxit Tutorial.
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

You'll have to open up the unit to get access to the switches. Generally DeOxit is for push-button switches and FaderLube is for sliding (EQ/Volume) switches. Read the recommendations on the website.
    https://caig.com/

I'm not an expert but the motor whirring sounds like a ground issue, maybe you pinched a wire when you put it back together causing the motor to not shut off? It might have something to do with the PAUSE switch not working.

3. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

The symptoms looks like the usual issue of a damaged chip (CX20084 ) because a wrong power adaptor was plugged in previously. Quite a common isssue on the D6c, sadly. Should be fixable with the correct part & skills.

4. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Hello Squiggly and welcome to Stereo2Go.

The speed issue sounds like the CP602 module has failed, which is a common problem on the D6. This will cause the motor to run fast when it is in play and the motor to creep when it is in stop.
    Note that the D6 uses a different motor drive circuit to the D6C, which uses the CX20084 IC.

I have posted the repair method here:
    http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/thr...fast-repair-of-cp602-servo-circuit-unit.1853/

Unfortunately the potted modules often fail after about 30 years so I recommend replacing the CP601, mute module and the 2 EQ switching modules as well. Replacements for these are available on Ebay, however I cannot make replacments for the CP602 as the CX20024 IC is no longer available.

The D6 model was manufactured from 1982 to 1984, when it was replaced by the D6C. Due to their age, D6s are likely to have issues now but are well worth fixing since, to my mind, they give a richer and more detailed sound than the D6C.

Jorge and stuck-in-time like this.
  5. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I had the same issue with the fast running motor after accidently plugging in the wrong power supply. The CX20084 chip needs replacing, and that thing is TINY! You'll need someone with expert soldering skills to do it! I always check, check and double check before plugging the power supply in now!
    IMG_1593.jpg

6. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

The drive system on the D6 is very different from most D6Cs. The D6 does not use the CX20084 IC.
    All D6Cs built up until 2001 use the CX20084. From 2001 until 2002, when Sony stopped building the D6C, they went back to a similar motor servo circuit to the one used on the D6, except that it used the CX069 IC.
    The photo below shows the motor drive circuit from a very late build D6C.

CX-069 IC.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  7. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

Thanks for the help guys! im gonna start inspecting the above mentioned things now, thanks a bunch

8. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

So i tested the 12th pin on that chip and im not getting a reading back, does that mean this walkman is toast?

9. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Did you check pin 12? Bear in mind that the pins are numbered from 1 to 13 but there is no pin 9.
    If there is no 2.2 reference voltage on pin 12, then check if you have power (5.5V) on pin 11.
    It's unusual to find a toasted chip on these. So far I haven't come across a toasted chip (touching wood as I write this).

Jorge likes this.
  10. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

i only tested pin 12 with no reading, havent tried pin 11 but i already put it back together a while ago, this means ill need to get a replacement part off another machine though right?

11. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

If there is no power on pin 11 then there will not be 2.2V on pin 12 as the CX20024 cannot generate the 2.2V reference it it does not have any power.
    If there is no power getting to pin 11 then it could be due to a cracked PCB track on the main circuit board or a loose connection.

Jorge likes this.
  12. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

hm so, if theres power to pin 11 thats normal, if not then something unrelated to the chip is going on, ok ill have to check it out gimme a min while i check

13. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

ok... so i tested various parts of it with the multimeter, every pin i get no reading, i thought for a second maybe i was using the wrong setting or multimeter but i tested another part of the walkman where it has say 2 volts and id get voltage through that
    what the heck is going on with this thing

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Looks like you got 'lucky' and now must have some extra Fun with The Thing ;), not just boring re-belt and cleaning. Time to get its Service Manual and trace where you lose the power. According to @Deb64 you have some good news: unobtanium CX20024 might be OK.

I fixed my WM-D6 following @Deb64 tutorials and advise, hopefully her good Karma will shine upon you as well :)

My five cents: fixing D-6 (notC) is well worth the trouble, it is probably the best-sounding Walkman: very analog and fluid. I never used mine to do any recordings, but for less $$ and trouble you can always get a solid cassette deck for that

Deb64 likes this.
  15. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

Yeah speaking of decks i got a sony tc-fx510r thats getting here which im wiring up to add to my remote control hifi stuff, so excited for that atleast, but for the d6 lucky is far from what id consider it lol. the service manual i have atleast is so vague i cant make out any traces, the d6 has so much stuff on it i can barely find components since its so dense and garbled, its just a mess really, i hope its some easy fix i wont need to go hunting across the country for some ridiculously rare part (slight exaggeration) but i feel that might be the case here

Jorge likes this.
  16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Definitely post how Sony TC-FX510R (mis)behaves ;) Unless you got a refurbished one, you will need a new belt. Personally, I stay away from auto-reverse anything, but yours has a digital counter which I like...

with WM-D6 use its SM to trace how/where you lose the power, it might be an easy fix!

17. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

well i wanted to get one in a non working state so i could fix it myself but the only black one was a refurbed one so i bit the bullet, and yeah the digital counter makes recording waaaay easier, but as for the d6 i do not believe its an easy fix, i imagine ill go in thinking that then wind up having a small list of 50 things that are blown and need to be replaced

18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You a an 'optimist' like myself, I see :)... But No, usually it is just one thing that blows, or with missing power something easy like a bad trace/solder/diode. Won't know until you trace it from power-in to the IC. Pretty straightforward when you have a SM

19. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

i think it could be just some easy issue there but the service manual has very vague traces, so it makes it a bit harder to do anything with the multimeter, but i guess ill figure it out, might get a new multimeter meant for more small measurements since this one i have is mostly for large like 100v measurements and such

maybe for christmas i should get a camera and become the my mate vince of walkman repair lol

20. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Agree with @Deb64 on the D6. It's worth getting it working because they sound wonderful. I have 2 D6C's which are early models and sought after but I prefer my D6 for playback. Mine was fine until it started running fast intermittently but eventually ran fast all the time. Following advice from @Deb64 my tech guru dismantled that tiny CX20024 IC which has a tiny PCB inside its sealed coating, located a dud transistor on that mini board and replaced it and resealed the IC soldering it back in place. The result was amazing. D6 runs at correct speed and has a beefed up output stage too which gives it an edge on my D6C's.
    Now as this repair is not simple you might consider sending your D6 off to a repairer. I know Deb has fixed many of these D6's with failed CX20024 IC. Not sure what it costs but worth considering to have a fully operational D6.