DD30 Walkman W&F reading outside of spec

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by TheBomber, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TheBomber

TheBomber New Member

Anxious about the continued operation of a DD30 I've owned from new, I bought another one on ebay that is in excellent cosmetic condition. I recently replaced the cracked centre gear in the 'new' one with one of Marian's (see separate post) and whilst buying the parts for this I also bought a speed/W&F tape to check performance before and after my repairs. I found the W&F reading was outside of spec before the centre gear works, and disappointed that while the repair was successful, the W&F reading has remained unchanged at around 0.23% DIN:-

DD30 - new.png
    According to the DD30 operating instructions W&F should be +/- 0.13% (DIN).

My suspicion on the cause is the 'tiny plastic ring' referred to in the 'Capstan Wheel Removal' part of the instructions for centre gear replacement (page 3 of the ones linked from the sticky in this forum). Even though I was looking for this component I was unable to locate it during the works and hoped it was safely tucked out of sight in 'the cavity of the capstan wheel'.

Would this W&F level be what I should expect with that part missing? Anybody have thoughts on other causes and potential solutions for this?