Dozens of brand new D6Cs

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by elleprof, Mar 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. elleprof

elleprof New Member

Recently I've been looking for a D6C and found some Chinese sellers with offers like this:

photo_2022-03-21 02.08.43.jpeg photo_2022-03-21 02.08.34.jpeg

The prices range between 1500 to 2900 USD, they say the units are new as if they had been locked up in some warehouse and suddenly someone took them out for sale. These photos are rather conservative, I saw some other pictures with dozens of D6Cs like stacked dominoes.

I wonder what's going on with these units, are they refurbished with newly made packaging? What do you guys think.

Boodokhan likes this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Who knows if they are genuine new old stock or something else, but who in their right mind is going to pay that kind of money? If someone really wants a portable then maybe, but that money is in the territory of full size and better home decks.

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Not me...it's to big for a start....i could of had a fully working one for £200 a few weeks ago but been there done that

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  4. elleprof

elleprof New Member

So do you think these being new old stock is really even possible? I saw one of the sellers saying several of his units had the pointy head which means these are earlier models right?

My guess is they rebuild these with parts from lots of places, and print stickers and all the packaging. I don't know...

5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

same as with f.ex. expensive wristwatches it is not unrealistic that those are new made copies. as for wristwatches, the copies are often non recognizable, means they‘re that well made, that not even a watchmaker can tell the differnce.
    on sites like alibaba they offered remade „original“ boxes for older units (also D6c) ages ago alleeady and they were good quality.
    so i wouldn‘t be surprised if those units are there, for real, but well made reproductions. as for the prices wich get not even asked, but also paid, it would mean a good margin for the producer.
    nex there‘ll be a „lost ark“ full of DD9‘s, accidently found somewhere, but for sure in China…

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That probably applies to a normally priced used D6C when compared to any other 2 head home deck. I just hope nobody buys one of these because it was the only "new in the box" deck they could find. As others have suggested it does seem rather dubious.

7. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Compiling like new units from spare parts, while most of these parts are not that common, seems very unlikely.
    The pointed heads (parabolic amorphous) are arguably the best ones used in the entire range (1984-2001) and are highly sought after.
    If you happen to find a box or crate, let me know!

8. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Pray the speed chip (Sony CX20084) is still working otherwise its a paper weight :(

9. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

And the speed chip is just one of the potential problems. It's not like rubber does not degrade over time or hybrid potted modules do not fail. Or that calibration was done perfectly from factory on these.

As for the price, it seems way too much (especially the 3000$ figure, the 1500 is more down to Earth) even if they are what they say they are. As for those being the only new boxed ones, I can guarantee that is not the case,
    there have been members selling such new D6C in box. There have been members selling new WM-3s, new, WM-3EX. Yes, new unused or very little used ones are rare, but not that rare that you won't find one.
    Many more will appear for sale in the coming years, as now there is a request for this kind of vintage devices, but the request is overblown a lot in reality.

Speculation is the keyword here, some wise guys are buying these cheap, wanting to re-sell at 2-5 times the original price. By buying a lot of them, they artifically create that sense of shortage, having a justification
    to drive the prices up, cause "it was the only "new in the box" deck they could find". The situation is not really that different from the Sony PS5 consoles shortage, where people buy them in bulk and sell them on ebay
    at 2000$ just because they can. And of course the problem are the poeple who buy at that price, not necessarily the sellers. And they do that out of fear, the fear that those products will disappear. That is not the case.

I can pretend I have the only serviced D6C in the world, with custom made rubber that is not available for sale (despite I buy it from Marian) and ask 5000$ on it. But people should not buy it in such case.

Boodokhan and Emiel like this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't doubt there are small collections of these around the world. I feel like a radio or TV station had them on the shelf for reporters and they kept a few new spares just in case. My buddy has a couple nice Sony DAT Portables from his radio days, hopefully he'll move them on to me one of these days. They always had a spare, you don't want to interview somebody and have your recorder stop working.

As far as pricing, they must get good money over there, I was looking at a Chinese Used Audio Site and USA Made Vintage Speakers go for 3-4X what they get here. The site was for their market; I have a feeling they import a ton of old equipment.

I like watching YouTube Videos on fake watches and auto's right about how close they are to the real deal, it's interesting to see how they figure it out. I must not be the only one watching these they get millions of views on this topic.