Early Sony D6c recording issue

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Narutonish, Feb 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Narutonish

Narutonish New Member

Hello guys. I just acquired a D6C serial 20090 it has the early head that says Japan on top. Everything seems working fine besides when you try to record. The record level goes +3 +6 Db in the low settings. When you start turning the knob the left channel it's louder than the right. When you crank the knob all the way up, they sound almost the same level. Any ideas or help would be highly appreciated!

2. Rune Lindman

Rune Lindman Member

Congratulations to a great Walkman! I would start with the basics, clean the recording potentiometer properly with contact cleaner, your might need to do this several times. I had cases where I was sure the potentiometer was broken but it came alive only after cleaning it more times. Also while in recording mode and have headphones connected listen to the sound while turning the pot and see if the sound level jumps or there is scratching sound, then the pot needs more cleaning. If the pot is not the cause try cleaning the input jack and check for cracked solder joints under the connector.If still a problem it might be components needed to be replaced, then there are likely more experienced people in this forum. Good luck.

Emiel likes this.
  3. Narutonish

Narutonish New Member

I can hear scratching sound when headphones are connected. Maybe it needs a deep cleaning I would try your suggestion.