Fixing up an Aiwa CS-600U

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by 2channelhero, Dec 26, 2016.

1. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

image.jpeg I recently scored this attractive and shiny Aiwa CS-600U and it has an amazing sound quality for just having a tone knob, but with the DSL button pressed in, the bass is excellent! It just needed new belts as the originals turned to gooey tar! The cassette drive motor was bad as well and I have ordered a new one. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Removing the gooey belts image.jpeg All clean! image.jpeg Bad motor :( image.jpeg Really cool music box air damper soft eject mechanism!

smeltedcheese likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Where did you order a motor from mate, do you have a link?

3. 2channelhero

The seller's name is cassetteconnection(1874) I had one motor the same size, but it was spinning the wrong direction, so I found one with the same number as you see in the pic, And I'm hoping it will work. (Haven't received it yet) And for any newbies to this kind of thing, you can't reverse polarity as there is a speed control circuit board inside the motor housing and you'll fry it. image.jpeg

4. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Seeing these huge, clear images of the photographs that 2ChannelHero took around Christmas 2016 of his Aiwa CS-600U is somewhat agonizing -- and, no, it's not because the very large images are triggering the looming reflex in me. (I half-wish that were the only issue.) No, it's because I'm reminded of what appears to be a newly discovered fault with my Aiwa CS-600U.

My second Aiwa CS-600U. Not the one dubiously "won" in an eBay auction in August 2016, but another Aiwa CS-600U. This one from Asheville, North Carolina.

This second one was meant to be a replacement of the first one. Same make, model and version, sentimentally enough.

Yes, the volume of that 22-watt, nine-"D"-cells boombox is commanding -- so much so that I had to turn the volume from a numerically modest 2 (out of 10) down to 1 (and with no Dynamic Super Loudness) while listening to classical-music-based FM programming to paradoxically not keep myself awake and to not vex others when I was trying to catch some ZZZs. (With the boombox several feet across the room from me.)

And, speaking of the DSL feature, yes, it creates, generates delightful, potent bass. Certainly a selling point of this model.

But all that verges on irrelevance -- if not mockery -- now that I have discovered -- surprise, surprise -- a cassette-deck problem with this CS-600U.

The RECORD function won't work. At all.

Either that, or I'm sillier with a "Mechanical Logic" boombox's tape deck than I imagined going into this game the second time around.

The playback of the stereo seems fine when I played a late-1970s West German-made symphonic-music audiocassette (one of three used, pre-1990 audiocassettes that I ordered at the same time that I ordered the Aiwa). But when I tried to test the recording function by recording music from a big, flat-screen TV via the condenser microphones early this afternoon: no go. The recording wouldn't even start! In fact, as I noted in a long eBay message to the seller earlier today, the RECORD button feels broken (that is, kind of loose). And, before the sale, I did ask the seller -- whose English seems halting and limited -- to kindly test the record function via the LINE IN function and make a video clip that he (or she) uploads to YouTube. The answer: sorry, don't know how to upload to YouTube. (Ah, well, neither do I, I shrug.)

I'm in a rush right now -- family matters, you understand -- but do help me out, folks.

What to do -- when lightning unpleasantly strikes twice?

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to make one working box out of the two faulty ones.

I fully understand if you don't want to though, as there is always a risk that you will end up with two completely non working boxes.

Good luck.

6. 2channelhero

My hypothesis is that the record tab sensor on the upper left top, could be jammed, or the record lever, in behind the tape mechanism, might not be engaging the record slider switch on the main board. OR, the record slider switch needs to be cleaned by spraying DeOxit into it. Godspeed, Easthelp!

7. 2channelhero

Not to be in any way, demeaning, Easthelp, but I can only read your post in the voice of Sheldon from the tv series "The Big Bang Theory"

8. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

You CAN reverse the polarity if you are prepared to very carefully prise the cap of the motor, withdraw the entire assembly (really easy) Then desolder the pos & neg pins, lift off the motor servo board rotate it 180 degrees - Then drop it back over the motor power connectors & resolder them!! Ease the motor back together & Viola!! Your motor is now the opposite rotation of what it was & you can of course still use the servo pot to fine adjust the speed :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Done it many many times over the years - just be gentle popping the lid off where the servo board is. .

9. 2channelhero

It's funny you mention this. I just accomplished the exact thing you mentioned yesterday, putting a new motor in a box I just got, but only having the reverse polarity motor on hand. A pair of needle nose pliers on the edge of the cap by the connections, and a slight twist and It came right off! I have a solder sucker that is always useful to get the servo board off.

10. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

James as Cassette2go in youtube
    Aiwa CS-600 Boombox cassette plays but Why no power from mainboard? (25:48) minutes

Cassette2go as James in facebook
    Aiwa CS-600 cassette plays but, why does the cassette deck motor not have power from the main board I don't know

December 2023 (28:04) minutes