FX6C Auto-Stop malfunction

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Xjmczar, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Xjmczar

Xjmczar Member

Just got an sony FX6C which was in working order, upon arrival it plays for a couple seconds then immediately stops. FF, REW, Play, and Record are all affected. Clearly its a problem with the autostop, however curiously, the digital tape counter does not move either even though all the other fluorescent counters are operational. Would appreciate any suggestions before I return it to the seller who offered a refund.

2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

If and how I think ... the light bulb in the cassette compartment is off ... or burnt out ... in other models such as 555es it is essential because in addition to illuminating the back of the Cassette, the light it produces serves you have optical sensors placed behind the sprockets of the winding pin (back and forth) ... without that light the sensors do not detect the movement and the mechanism goes to stop

DSC00356.jpg DSC00360.jpg

Xjmczar likes this.
  3. Xjmczar

Xjmczar Member

Bingo! I had my lamp shining into the cassette bay wondering how the thing just started working again and then saw this message. I've been reflowing joints on the board and checking continuity and voltages for a while so such a relief to know it's nothing serious. Sure wasted a ton of time reflowing joints but hey at least I know those solder points ain't going anywhere. Thanks very much.