Hello from the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Orkerd, May 1, 2021.

1. Orkerd

Orkerd New Member

Hello, i'm Craig. I have always been fasinated by old technology, especially when it comes to tape decks and walkman. (I use an EX 647 for daily use and it's great). My dad was the reason why i've gotten into old media formats. Recently have gotten my hands on an original TPS-L2 which i'm very happy about! But also came here if anyone could answer i question i have about it, the motor to be exact.

It's a rather simple question but is it normal that the motor shaft can move slightly up and down? Recently i've dissasembled the motor since it wasn't functioning but i restored it, only that part with the motor shaft slightly confused me, so if anyone could answer it i would really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. frblaze

frblaze New Member

Hello Craig and welcome here!!
    You have two very nice Walkmans, the TPS is a legend of course, it was the first.
    Concerning the motor, it shouldn’t move at all, I think your motor is defective. I think you should try to replace it. It’s the same as the WM2 the holding bracket is a little different but it’s possible to swap them.
    Have fun

Orkerd likes this.
  3. Orkerd

Orkerd New Member

Thank you two for answering my question, the motor was indeed not good anymore since the pulley would bounce and it started to die on me.
    Luckily i've found a trustworthy seller on Ebay selling the exact motor, the MNF-1600B and in working condition as he stated so i don't have to pry it open and risk damaging it. Only having to solder the 4 wires in place and it's done, maybe a drop of lubrication to finish it nicely. :worship:
    Did have to spend quite some money for only a motor but it's worth it given the legend that is the TPS.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Do not throw away the old motor! I'm not sure why it moves up and down, that doesn't happen very often but there may be an easy fix with some good tools. Post photos when you open it up and maybe we can walk you through restoring it.

5. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

Be welcome and walkmans are the best :biggrin::redface: