Here’s a challenge Sony 1985-1988

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Thomas Noe, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Thomas Noe

Thomas Noe New Member

I am searching for a boombox that I don’t know model nr of not have I been able to find a picture of online. I am hoping I can describe it here and someone will accept the challenge and help me figure out the model nr and find a picture.

It was a Sony boombox with double cassette and CD player. The CD was loaded horizontally and you could see the CD spinning. Given that it was double cassette and cd this boombox was rather wide. It wasn’t that tall. The front panel actually had a 30 degree angle with the left speaker double tape and CD the right speaker across.
    I remember seeing it in a 47st photo (New Yorkers of a certain age will know this store).

this boombox was probably top of the line and not cheap feeling at all. priced $300-500 back then. It was not to be confused with Sony bookshelf systems that had a handle. This was just a top of line portable boombox.

who will take the challenge?

2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

3. Thomas Noe

Thomas Noe New Member

I checked with that caralog… the reason I am searching is because this boombox looked very different from all the brands. Do you have such images for 1985-1988? All the boomboxes with CD are top loading in that 1991 catalog. The one I am looking for is not too loading.

4. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Can it have a similar style??

Sony B.jpg

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sony and the others didn't have a lot of horizontal CD players, maybe the CFD-444 or CFD-77? I feel like a posted an ad in the threads below but you'll have to look through a lot of photos, it might have been a Toshiba?

6. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

I always like a challenge!
    But a box with a Horizontal CD player has the player on top or with a drawer. A Vertical loading player is much rarer.
    Most CD players load horizontal or am I missing something?

An example of a boombox with double cassette and vertical CD player is the Philips D8958:
    https://www.hifi-archiv.info/Philips/1987-Audio/philips36.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    Silver965 likes this.
  7. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

In the (very nice) Sony catalogue on this site: https://bouya.officew.jp/tc-cf-1987-05/
    there is a CFD-DW88 model, with a double cassette with frontloading cd player.

You have to look for something like CFD-Wxxx or CFD-DWxxx modelnumbers, indicating CD player and double cassette.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  8. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Any of these? The first one is the CFD-DW88 that StaticAudio mentions above, has a double cassette deck similar to the Sharp ones that had one door with 2 decks behind it, so looks like a single deck player. Closest I have its the CFD-65L which has the cd player in the upright orientation.

Attached Files:

9. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Sony CFD-W888? I'd love one of these myself! Or the D5....

Attached Files:

10. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

If I read this right, the CD was actually loaded vertically. I've seen Crowns with dual tape and vertical CD but nothing much else. Personally I avoid boomboxes with CDs as my "fix" rate with CDs generally is very low and having a partially working machine silently mocking me from a shelf is quite unbearable!

11. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Are you certain that it was a Sony? How about this Sanyo.
    Sanyo PH-WCD600 CD radio-cassette
    https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/n1083307764
    https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/n1083307764

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Score! But it's a Panasonic.....

pana.png