Hi-Fi Stereo VHS for audio listening!

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Ken80s, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Keeping these 2 Sony VCRs one reason is because I still have my wedding video in VHS format. Another reason is because these are Hi-fi stereo units. Alternatively I could enjoy listening to music recorded in VHS tapes and also used as aux-in...you'll be surprised with the sound quality these units can deliver.
    InCollage_20240205_201051667.jpg
    InCollage_20240205_201240133.jpg

Longman and AE_Stereo like this.
  2. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I spent six years wanted a HiFi VHS VCR. The people I bought my first house from back in 1986 had a £600 Panasonic HiFi VCR in their £24000 house.
    I eventually bought the first one I saw for under £300 (an ex display Akai in Comet). I no longer have that one but have about eight including four SVHS models (in case one breaks). People complain about only poor quality cassette decks being made nowadays, but no new VCRs at all have been made since 2016.

Before I even had a HiFi VCR I bought quite a lot of music videos, which often seemed to be better value than LPs or especially CDs. I still remember buying
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABBA-ORIGINAL-VIDEO-SCREEN-LEGENDS/dp/B00DOWA7KE/ref=sr_1_3 on the way home from work when I thought I would be off sick the next day with a cold.

More recently I have bought VHS music video on eBay and Amazon when Copyright stupidities have stopped you watching tracks any other way.
    Until a year ago the only way of seeing this video properly was on VHS.

Too early for DVD. There are actually Spice Girls videos which were never released on DVD.

p.s. I forgot to comment on sound quality. Very close to CD and in Europe you could fit 10 hours of Audio on a tape if you wanted to.

Ken80s likes this.
  4. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

VCR Hifi stereo should be one of the collectible items, we all believe that VHS format would never make a comeback like vinyl. It's getting rare to see one for sale online. It's very limited in production back in the days particularly for HiFi stereo VCRs , you should grab it once you see one up for sale.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I found a very nice one years ago, I think it's the Sony SVO-2000 and I've held on to it just in case, plus I have some cool old music tapes, some are rare and only on tape. I've also got a decoder unit that pulls the different channels from the audio, I can't remember what it's called and it's packed away. Supposedly the VHS tape also encoded the separate audio channels way before home theatre was main stream.

Ken80s likes this.
  6. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

Back in 1995, I used a HiFi stereo VHS to DJ my own wedding.
    We picked the songs & I played a 4-hour set, recording it onto a top-range TDK VHS tape & my JVC HiFi stereo video (HRD860 I think, which even had manual recording level controls!). The sound was excellent :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    Ken80s and Papa like this.