How about the SuperSonic Brand Portables ???

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by KJ Bleus Parsons, Nov 16, 2022.

1. KJ Bleus Parsons

KJ Bleus Parsons Active Member

Just browsing, and this SuperSonic Brand boomer caught my eyes .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3852349639...XuSDjvdc3gYgD92CYFTty5E9s=|tkp:Bk9SR6D22N-PYQ

upload_2022-11-16_10-22-58.png

upload_2022-11-16_10-24-25.png

SuperSonic SC-3201TBTWOD Bluetooth - 4 Band Radio, Cassette & USB Wood case, etc.

Convert Analog Music to Digital Music Files, from Cassette to USB or SD Card!

Product Features

AM/FM/SW 1-2 World Band Receiver & MP3 Playback

Bluetooth® Compatible Allows You to Connect to Most External Bluetooth® Enabled Devices

Built-in USB Input Compatible, Play Music from a USB Flash Drive

Built-in SD Card Slot Compatible Allows You to Play Music froman SD Card

Cassette Player

Built-in Speaker

3 Band EQ Mode

AC Power 120/240V ~ 60/50Hz

DC 6V (4 x “D”) Batteries not included

Well, its not one of those desired Marantz/Superscope vintage models ......

No doubt, these SuperSonics appear to be inexpensively manufactured. Leaning toward grabbing one of these, for my outdoor backyard activities. If even only for one summer season of use :))

AM/FM/SW bands of analogue airwaves is quite appealing.
    Cassette tape playback is a bonus, eh ?

Any of you boomers have this SuperSonic model in your possession ? Comments & opinions welcome.

Cheers & Peace to all !!!

Attached Files:

autoreverser, RTM and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Some of the new crop aren't bad looking, bluetooth, memory stick and USB are very nice. It looks like it might be more of a mid-size player.

3. KJ Bleus Parsons

KJ Bleus Parsons Active Member

Looking good .... Hoping it will be sounding good also. Excellent media use options, eh ?

Ordering one of those Supersonic boxes later today.

Cheers & Peace !!!

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

For the price, it probably isn't a bad deal, hopefully there's some quality to the speakers and amplifier. I love my ION Jobrocker but the boombox ION put out got horrible reviews. The Jobrocker seems to be their own design, the boombox looks like a few different companies released the same box, we may never know who built it.

5. RTM

RTM Member

In mainstream audio, there was a phrase ("BPC") that organically transpired in a number of groups I was in at the time. It was accurate as far as what was happening to home gear (particularly when comparing the peak period of the late '70s just preceding it), but the '80s/90's/00's were a time of high quality for this gear. I bought a pretty nice (Sony CFD-565, it's just not an '80s iconic model) semi-functional boombox (CD, FM Stereo, Dual Cassette deck-although mine didn't have auto reverse and lacked a tape counter) that will have far better build quality. But you'd have to change the belts (not optional) yourself. I did have to refocus the laser on the CD player and refoam the mid speakers, but that's a given on anything portable after the passage of twenty or so years. All in, I probably have less than $85 USD in it and it came with a remote. Since those (and those like it) were chucked out on an industrial scale, the supply side is kinder to your wallet. There's just the sweat equity factor. Mine's not neighbor annoyingly loud, but that's not what I bought it (nor any of my recent purchases) for. It's good to have these types of things around for the rare occasions when your AC power goes down. I'm the world's most laid back prepper, lol...

Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  6. Jamestech1965

Jamestech1965 New Member

It is what it is. While I appreciate some effort by these Chinese manufacturers the quality is hit or miss. I have this exact model and it's basic. Tinny sounding.
    Remember that Lasonic i931 from about 10 years ago? It wasn't bad but it required too many D size batteries. Not made any more and way overpriced on eBay as usual.
    I bought mine new for $179 USD and $139 USD new (I have 2) The iPod version was made in Taiwan and the BT version was made in China, not much difference in build quality.
    Still new in boxes.

The Brooklyn GPO is actually not bad and a JVC lookalike Toshiba bass tube radio is good.

Compared to the sad, overpriced state of the used market at least it's new and not worn out by the time you buy it. I don't buy used boomboxes anymore.
    I have too many as it is and I'm thinking of culling the herd eventually. But I'm tired of receiving misrepresented items and broken junk.

7. Hans

Hans New Member

Hi Autoreverser, how are you? I'm still here sometimes as well!