How proprietary are the walkman remotes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by KikoValdez, Sep 15, 2023.

1. KikoValdez

KikoValdez New Member

Hello.

I have a sony wm-fx811 in my collection, but it has a problem that is probably pretty common in used walkmans: it's missing the remote.
    Even worse, the remote that is intended for it (the rm-wm76f) is, from my experience, harder to find than a needle in a haybale.
    I did however just manage to find an rm-wm76e (which was originally meant for the ex-811) for sale for a pretty good price, but I know that sony made walkman remotes very proprietary and even similar remotes can work very differently.
    Do you think that the rm-wm76e will work mostly flawlessly (probably without fm radio functionality) with my walkman or do you suspect that it'll more likely barely work?
    Thanks in advance for your replies

2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

One word: very!
    Even if a range of models might be covered in one service manual, the remote might not work between them.
    Some components might differ between models, etc. Example: WM-EX66, 77, and 88.
    I find that only volume seems to consistently work, others controls do not.

Once we have our model editor ironed out, I might consider tracking different remote controls (down to part number) on Walkman.land.

3. Emiel

The EX900 should be controlled by the RM-WME22L.
    The remote paired with the EX610, 615 and 621 is the RM-WME23.
    I bought an EX615 (for parts, in very bad shape) for this purpose, including remote.
    Obviously, as the WME23 does not have a backlight (lacks trailing L in the model/type), that will never work.

However, the latter remote (WME23) does completely work when connected to the EX900 - tested with the actual device.
    Derived from that, since the EX9 and EX900 are very similar, the WME23 might also work with the EX9 although it is paired RM-WME21L.

Next, it leads me to believe the the WME23 will also work with the EX910, as that one should come with the RM-WME23L.
    It might also work for the EX921, as that one should be controlled by the RM-WME23RL.
    Not sure what the R should indicate, right-handed use seems too farfetched.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't have all these devices to test this in real life.

I am happy to add the exact remote and headset types to Walkman.land if somebody would provide them in a structured manner.
    Digging through all services manuals and adding part number + description to an Excel file per Walkman is a bit of a task.

Valentin likes this.
  4. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi Emiel. I have noticed on Walkman
    Land that the DC input on all the DD models it is shown that they all are centre + which is incorrect. Have you noticed this?

5. Emiel

We only have one symbol for DC in :), it is not on purpose incorrect. Once we can allow more editors to update the contents, we can add more details.

6. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Understand.

7. Emiel

Here is the LCD side of the PCB of the RM-WME23. There are several unpopulated pads: it seems these are for the components required for the backlight, for the L version.
    IMG_2873.jpeg

8. Jbglx

Jbglx New Member

The remote of the EX9 (RM-WME21L) doesn´t work with the EX900 , and viceversa .
    I know these because have both of them .
    The thing is that the RM-WME21L has the "menu" button/function . while the RM-WME22L (belonging to the EX900) has each button dedicated for any particular function .
    Reducing costs , surely that´s the reason , the 22L might be cheaper than the 21L .
    The EX900 was a less expensive version of the EX9 , by changing the remote and looks of the device (plastic corners vs metal corners ) and not offering the "chamaeleon " color version .

Emiel and Cassette2go like this.
  9. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I don't see the part number for the remote anywhere on the remote.
    17225958356051130285909691412364.jpg
    And I do have the belt for it. I just haven't had time to install it yet. Maybe someday.

Emiel likes this.
  10. Emiel

Usually Sony does not label the parts with the number, similar to the battery sidecars. The service manuals do have the unique part numbers :)

Cassette2go likes this.
  11. Emiel

This is the RM-WME23L, originally paired with the EX910, which seems to work as intended with the EX900 too.
    The difference is what is on the display: with EX900 it indicates playback side, with EX910 playback direction.
    Both devices keep info on the remote even when nothing is playing, showing playback mode, direction/side, and cassette inserted icon.
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    Cassette2go likes this.
  12. Jbglx

Jbglx New Member

Cassette2go , yes it has , look closely , is in the "hook with a spring" , that attaches to a belt .
    By the way , waiting for that chamaeleon to be in e-Bay :)