Improving bass response in Panasonic FT600

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by BLiNDEAD, Feb 20, 2024.

1. BLiNDEAD

BLiNDEAD New Member

Hello! I have this 90s boombox, and use it frequently. It sounds really nice, but lacks in lower bass. I thought about replacing speakers with better ones, but then something else catched my attention.
    There is battery compartment in the back, that i never used, since i only listen to music while plugged-in.
    What if i remove battery terminals, put some dampening material in there and mount one of that oval speakers used in TVs? I would connect the speaker through main speakers (like those piezo tweeteres are connected). I could even connect it to little crossover, to remove higher frequencies.

Only issue i see is adding more load to this little amplifer. Also, main speakers are 2.7 ohm, and those TV speakers are usually 6 ohm, so its more than double impendance. As far as i know it would sound quieter?

What do you think about my idea?

2. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

I like the idea of improving speakers and bass in boomboxes. This reminds me to do a deep dive search for others who have done this and what their results were. Lots of questions.

E-bay has lots of smaller 3ohm speakers, some oval shape, but I doubt they would add that much bass. Special high quality bass speakers, with their own mini amp, with lots of acoustic dampening and isolation for low frequency accentuation, that may be the only way?