In my latest hunt I found these Aiwa HS-P103 and Sony TCM-450

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by elleprof, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. elleprof

elleprof New Member

The Sony is working nicely but the Aiwa is broken, I've heard this Aiwa sounds pretty decent so I will try to bring it back to life, though I have no idea exactly how, I'm excited about digging into it.
    IMG_20210201_212841.jpg
    IMG_20210201_212902.jpg IMG_20210201_215553.jpg IMG_20210201_215617.jpg

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to hear about the hunt, I usually go over to Japan this time of year but I'm land-locked over here. Don't be afraid to take them apart and do some work, just take a lot of photos because you won't remember where any of the small screws go.

3. elleprof

elleprof New Member

Great advice! Thanks. I actually started working on the Aiwa and the first thing I saw was a literally melted belt which I already replaced, and once I finished that I thought to myself "so exciting! I repaired my first walkman," only to find that there was no sound coming out of the unit... :biggrin: I need to do some research as to how to proceed next.

4. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I have an AIWA HS-P107 very similar to your. It needed a new belt and all electrolytic caps replaced. AIWA was more on the budget side and often used caps which nowadays are dead. Other than that, the walkman sounds nice.

Mister X likes this.
  5. elleprof

elleprof New Member

Sorry for such a late reply enryfox,
    I have seen several HS-P107 in my go to secondhand market and they sure look nice, hope I can try one soon.
    On the other hand, my aiwa didn't survive my repair attempts, a costly learning experience...