In the market for a Discman/CD Walkman

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by The Shocker, Sep 27, 2019.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker New Member

Hello all. New to the forum. Forgive me if I am asking things that have been asked before.

I found a Sony Discman D-33 on Offerup.com for $5.00 that I am picking up today. Comes with the power adapter and the owner is very insistent I bring a CD and headphones to try it out. Gives me some confidence in the fact that it will work.

But just knowing how my brain operates, I am now in DAD (Discman Acquisition Disorder). So, two questions:

1. Any models I should avoid at all costs?
    2. What are the "holy grail" models I should look out for and what makes them holy grails?

In a perfect world, I'd love anti-skip protection with line out and optical out.

Sly. likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

D-33 is a solid Discman, not a Holy Grail by any standards but waay better than anything which came out later. I would go as far as saying that 1991 (when D-33 was born) was the break-point, anything produced later was an exercise in cheapiness.
    D-J50 from 1991 is a Holy Grail (but Good Luck getting one!) What makes D-J50 a Grail (aside from the looks) is its PCM66 Pacific Microsonics DAC and... the looks!
    When I had an unhealthy collection of Discmans (see my very first post here), D-33 was my workhorse//Gold Standard during my restorations. Unbreakable and reliable.

Forget about Ati-Skip: once engaged the sound collapses into the mushiness WAY below MP3 horrors. D-33 has a line-out. Just a few (two?) Discmans had an Optical-out, but nowadays it is totally irrelevant: for the ultimate Sound Quality off CDs for your main stereo you should look elsewhere, not Discmans :(

The best-sounding Discman? Sony D-50MkII/(Sony D-7), Technics SL-XP5 and Denons (DCP-150 and DCP-100) Avoid Sonys, I had a few and they were Very difficult to calibrate, even when I had all the necessary tools for that! Technics and Panasonics worth buying have a very special (+6V/0/-6V) power adapter, and those are Not sold separately o_O

As someone with an unhealthy love for Discmans (even though my whole collection of 5k+CDs is now gone into digital Heavens...) I am looking into buying this Panasonic:
    Panasonic SL-NP3 Portable CD Player DISCMAN 1986 Japan Made
    its battery pack has to be rejuvenated (an easy fix) but no Discman will sound better than this model!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

At $5 for a working Discman you can't go wrong. Back in 1989 when I decided to buy a CD player the cheapest new one was £100 (£244 in today's money).
    CDs were also about £12 each. Nowadays every Charity shop here has them, sometimes as cheap as three for £1. I think that is why I am anti streaming. The £2K+ I spent on CDs through the 90s is probably now worth a fraction of that.

I actually like the more recent Sony Discmans. They sound far better than the fist CD player I had, a Hitachi "HiFi" separate from about 1987, and will run for tens of hours on a couple of AA batteries. Jorge mentions Anti-Skip and I agree with him about that. However, on all the Sonys I have had it can be turned off, either with a switch or a menu function. However, I have an awful sounding Panasonic where it can't. The Sonys don't really need it. Even with anti shock turned off they need a violent shake to make them skip. In contrast earlier players I had like the Hitachi and a Sanyo portable would skip if just gently tapped. I wouldn't pay a lot for one but sertainly wouldn't dismiss them. I paid about £60 new for my first real Discman (very similar to the blue one in about 2001 and was so impressed I bought my sister one as well.

IMG_5251.JPG

p.s I decided I had better check prices. This was in the 2002 Argo Christmas supplement.

Discmans 2002.jpg

Neither of the two shown cost me more than £10

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. The Shocker

The Shocker New Member

I definitely want to pick up a few more Discman/CD Walkman units as spares.

I always amazed me that Sony could miniaturize the CD player so fast. I can't believe the first Discman came out in 1984. And those late models that were no bigger than a CD itself are marvels in miniaturization.