ISO Sony Walkman wm-f100III battery compartment

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Panthea B, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Panthea B

Panthea B New Member

I’m so stoked!! I am a caregiver for an elderly woman, and while clearing out her things for her big move I found this beauty in perfect condition. Unfortunately there was no battery compartment to be found. Any chance someone has one for sale?

in my research I’ve seen a few semi recent posts looking for the same thing. It seems to be a hard find. Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

2. theLAG80s

theLAG80s Member

Hi
    That's an awesome find. F100s are really cool compact players and one of my favorites that I own. I am definitely not an expert on this but if you were desperate you could get a handmade one from the vintage_walkman_lab on ebay. The battery cases seem to degrade over time so only people with ones in good conditions are probably the best worth bartering with. The handmade one should be good however it is quite pricey and you most likely will also need new belts on that walkman.

But you never know; someone might be interested in selling one here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkm...468993?hash=item1aad2ba781:g:sDwAAOSwsnldRDyx

thid likes this.
  3. Panthea B

Panthea B New Member

Thank you!! This is the kind of info I’m here for. I’m sure I’ll be learning some new skills refurbishing this one. I see broken ones for parts selling for $100+! Crazy

thid likes this.
  4. Panthea B

Panthea B New Member

Do you happen to know if the f100 pack differs from the f100III?

5. theLAG80s

theLAG80s Member

I was wondering that also but I checked the description of vintage_walkman_lab's listing but it says it works for f100III as well. The f100III was just a revision so I don't think it matters too much. Glad I could help. Also if you need it someone has put the manual for the f100/f100III on this website.

6. Panthea B

Panthea B New Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

7. Xjmczar

Xjmczar Member

Really nice find there! I own an F100 too so i thought I’de share some tidbits and things you might find useful to know. Like LAG said, the battery compartment is compatible across the entire WM-100/F100 lineup (up to the 404) When you open it up to replace the belt, i would make sure to check the brass center flywheel in the machanism. It doesnt happen often, but from my experience, a nylon gear at the base of the flywheel will be cracked. You can remove the flywheel by carefully removing the clip in the cassette bay which is attached to and keeps the flywheels post in position. Often times this cracked gear will render the unit inoperable. Also not that you will (considering the condition of your unit) but if you replace the pinch rollers on the device, be very careful about making sure your replacements are uniform. Some rollers i sources a while back were slightly oval which lead to some very strange distortions during playback. Best of luck!