Issues with SONY WM-D6C

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by valeriolg, Jan 30, 2024.

Tags:
  1. valeriolg

valeriolg New Member

Hello! Unfortunately my SONY Walkman WM-D6C is not working anymore. It had a very loud sound while fast forwarding the cassette, but the repair man did even worst and now the walkman doesn't even turn on. Is there someone that can help?

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum !

There are a few people who can help here on the forum, including myself.
    What has been done on the walkman exactly ? Was that loud sound mechanical or in the audio ?

valeriolg likes this.
  3. valeriolg

valeriolg New Member

Hi Valentin, thanks for your reply. The loud sound was mechanical, and audible only while fast forwarding the cassette.
    I believe the repair man also used the wrong charger while repairing it and damaged the "speed regulator chip" (sorry I'm not an expert)? Therefore he then tried to change the chip different times but unsuccessfully. He said that he ordered it from China but they were not functional...
    Would you consider the situation salvageable? It's such a nice piece and I spent quite some money on it, it would be a real waste not to save it.
    Thanks, Valerio.

4. Valentin

For the fast forwarding issue, the problem may be a cracked gear on the mechanism. However I will need to actually see the unit to confirm this.

About the CX20084 speed regulator IC, genuine ones are not available anymore, we will need a DD10/DD11 donor unit in bad condition to take the chip from.
    Feel free to send me a private message and we can discuss in more detail there. I think the situation is salvagable.

5. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

6. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Yes that gear may have broken completely. I discovered recently a hairline crack in one of my D6 in that gear. There are replacement gears but some of these are not exactly centred accurately and when placed on the shaft have a less than smooth rotation. The seller tells me that won't impact operation. Not sure. Regrettably I have not found another source of the required gear. Its a real pity about that CX20084 chip though. So many end up ruined by connecting the wrong polarity power source. It's the single advantage of the D6 over the D6C. Speed control is via one of those infamous hybrid or "potted" models. These all fail over time but a skilled tech can dismantle then, find the failed transistor and replace it and the D6 issues are solved. I think we all know now these CX20084 IC's available from China are fakes. Valentin is correct. The only option nowadays is to find a junk DD Walkman and take the IC from it but that's no easy task.
    I have one myself but it still cost $200 several years ago.
    B

7. Valentin

It's unfortunate there are still a lot of people that don't know or don't realise the DC in jack on this device is center negative, despite it's something that has been discussed here and on tapeheads a lot.
    In fact, many older Japanese devices (but even some current ones) use a center negative plug, some of them don't even have markings: the SONY TC-D5M is such example, but it's not the only one.
    I always double check the polarity markings before plugging in an AC adapter. If I'm not sure, there are no markings or have suspicions the DC jack polarity has been rewired, I test with a multimeter before any attempt to plug in an adapter.

As for the takeup reel gear, I recently learned these break and never had to replace one. If the replacement has eccentricity, I agree that would be a problem.
    When the time will come, I will create a separate thread covering this and a potential repair of the old gear by enlarging the hole until it's no longer a press fit and then glue it to the shaft depending on which solution I think is better.

Silverera and Deb64 like this.