JVC PC-55 Restoration and Renewed

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Ken80s, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Purchased this unit out of the local online sales and I wasn't expect much on the condition though but willing to take a bet for such a rare unit. I went to the courier receiving warehouse to pick it up and while loading it to my trunk, I took some pictures as pre-inspection

1) Overall, very run down condition with stains and marks especially on the top surface and some dings here and there
    2) Missing one antenna with another one dented and broken on the tip
    3) Speakers terminal with one side not connected and the other channel with parallel connection to both speakers ( this immediately tells me one side output could be dead )
    4) Chrome areas look dull and badly oxidized
    5) Upon power on - LCD light up but some missing segment on the digits. Cassette / radio function but sound only with left channel working.
    6) Most of the buttons having contact issues causing scratchy, intermittent, distorted sound and popping on/off of the speaker.

Let me walk you through with these images before and after restoration and how I renew it to my best effort.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture4.png

IMG_20180914_214613.jpg

IMG_20180915_123601.jpg

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

After cleaning the interior and settled the functionality issue, next is to work on the exterior.
    I always use car wax for exterior cleaning as it would not harm the labels and will give a glossy lacquer finish especially on the chrome surface.

Capture2.PNG

I also managed to make printout of the original door label design.
    door label.png

And finally this is how it turn out after all the effort, a totally renewed JVC PC-55 boombox

IMG_20180915_192324.jpg

IMG_20180915_193301.jpg

2 new antennas were replaced.
    IMG_20180915_193244.jpg
    IMG_20180915_193317.jpg

Capture.PNG

Took few shots under warm light.
    IMG_20180917_205952.jpg

IMG_20180917_205914.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Papa, SeanMT, Easthelp and 2 others like this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This is one Heroic restoration, I would have fainted seeing that blanket of dust!
    I do not want to scare you, but do you know that there is an alien sitting on top of your PC-55? right above the tuning wheel :swoon

Ken80s likes this.
  3. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Great work but did the alien manage to add the sticker on the tape unit which suddenly appears about half through the video?

Ken80s likes this.
  4. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Haha you can say that, it's my beloved companion. It's actually a car mp3 FM transmitter which I modified for home use.

Jorge likes this.
  5. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

I actually merge few sections of the video!!!

6. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

<<---------- Back to the Future !

Picture1.png

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That turned out great! A real labor of love and a cool find. The plants on it are killing me, I try to keep anything biological a few feet from any of my equipment.

I love these early 80's units that split up and spread out, usually the size of a bed. I have to admit I didn't know that some three piece's were actually four units until a couple of years ago and I own a handful of them. In the college days this would have been such a great system to have a long with a turntable...

Radio Raheem and Jorge like this.
  8. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

:nodding::thumbsup::nodding: but it's worth it - very nice machine, used to have it, one of my fav JVC/Victor PCs.

Jorge and Ken80s like this.
  9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

That's a beautiful unit

10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

looks beautiful, great job

11. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

had sevral of these and love em, have one now, my personal grail when i was a teen....great restoration

Ken80s likes this.
  12. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

As others have been telling Ken80s: good going with the restoration.

Uh, did he copy those "Dolby C-NR/JVC Portable Compo" stickers from the digital template of those designs that have been saved on one boombox-fan website or another? (Would that website be Stereo2Go? Or maybe BoomBoxery?)

At the risk of being too suggestible (seeing that Ken80s is based in Malaysia), was the music that he played in the YouTube clip with his repaired '55 infused with East Asian rhythms?

Well, in the meantime, one can enjoy the restored and repaired JVC PC-55. For what it's worth admitting to this, this beefy sound system (87 watts, yes?) with the so-called feather-touch tape controls is one of the portable stereos that I craved a few years ago but never went for (too expensive on eBay, too rundown to be a cost-effective purchase, etc.)

But, again, do enjoy the tasteful music. Maybe some Tor Aulin? (Heard his "Swedish Dances" composition being played on Comcast channel 848 as I typed this.)

13. Jody

Jody New Member

Nice work! I am hoping you may be able to guide me. My PC-55 when turned on, the green light comes on but the red light quickly goes off, thus causing no sound/power. Is there a fix? Also, any chance you could share file so I could print out the label for the deck?

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Jody, have you opened it up? If it's as dirty as Ken80s I'd start there, I'd also strip off all of the accessories and plug in the amp only to rule out what's causing the shut down. Once it's opened, there's probably a relay that makes a clicking sound when it powers up or down, usually there's a lag after you hit the power switch before the click. It's in a clear box, take photos of the insides to show us the condition.

Jorge and Papa like this.
  15. Jody

Jody New Member

Thank you I will do that tommorrow!!!!

16. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Hi Jody, power supply issues require detail troubleshooting especially PC55 which designed using switching power supply. If you are not familiar with electricity please do not attempt to repair as to avoid electric shock. You need point to point voltage check within the discrete components. But first thing first open the unit and dust off the circuit boards. Reseat the inter connectors and possible use contact cleaner. Then power up the unit to see the DC voltage could turn on. Try to do this before the next step. I have attached the power supply circuitry for your reference.

Attached Files:

17. Jody

Jody New Member

Hello....I did just a quick open and blew some dust off. Now the red light doesnt go out BUT it flashes rapidly. Is there hope? Thank you for helping.

18. Jody

Jody New Member

I am not seeing a CLEAR box. I opened it and simply blew some dust off and plugged it back in and now the red light doesnt go out. It flashes rapidly. Can I load video in here or only pics?

19. Jody

Jody New Member

20200201_102442.jpg 20200201_102442.jpg 20200201_102414.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Jody

Jody New Member

20200201_103010.jpg 20200201_103010.jpg

Ken80s likes this.