Lo-D Hitachi - what‘s it all about ?

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Jan 21, 2022.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i‘ve bought on local ebay a Lo-D Hitachi turntable, not knowing much about it but it‘s a direct driven unit wich i quite like from the design, wooden chassis, nice arm etc. ( hasn‘t arrived yet so i can‘t say more).

noticing the to me unknown name „Lo-D“ in combination with Hitachi made me searching the net a bit, but not finding much about Lo-D by Hitachi.

was it sort off a „high end“ line ? was it an own label/make, using Hitachi units as a base ?

i even found a Lo-D boombox, some Elcaset units and a terrible good looking top line tapedeck !

who‘s got more info ? MisterX, upon stage, please ! :fisch

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Post photos when it gets in, I love the older wood/metal beasts from the mid-70's. I've got my Sansui FR-4060 on my top shelf looking awesome.

Honestly I don't know much about Lo-D, I don't think it ever was marketed in the USA. I call the mini-stereo a Lo-D System but it's really an M1 or M2 Mini-Stereo. I do search it on Ebay once in awhile for it and some amazing equipment shows up but Hitachi was a nitch brand here and we got just a hair more of that equipment.

Consensus is that it's their better equipment but I don't know who made their turntables, there might be more information on the web of manufacturers thread that used to be on the Vintage Knob and is now found on archive.org

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

4. autoreverser

as i wrote, it‘s not here yet but will post pics asap.

model no. is Lo-D PS55

and yes, it‘s a 100V Version (but i allready have a stepdown transformer aside)

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice looking table, it's very similar to a Sony PS-2251 I have. Personally I think some of the 70's wooden tanks are the best looking tables of all time.

6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

It's just their better line, like Aurex was for Toshiba and Technics was for Panasonic

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    autoreverser likes this.
  7. autoreverser

…talking about Aurex, look what ifound:

(pic from the net, not mine !)
    2EFE6340-ACC2-48A3-A22F-3FD7E36E7B54.jpeg
    Aurex C-510 - and now check the pic from the one i bought:

D0DA43B8-B59A-4869-A1E9-F88947FAB91D.jpeg

looks like this chassis was used by others as well - seems to be the same as the one in the Hitachi

Mister X likes this.
  8. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

There was also Sharp's Optonica brand

Mister X likes this.