Lubricating the WM-D6C Player Parts

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by George Bond, Sep 19, 2024.

1. George Bond

George Bond New Member

Good time of the day to all,

I want to change the old lubricants used in my WM-D6C. I know that Sony used grease and some oil to lubricate the parts, but I've read in some places that grease is not the best option of lubrication. I recently bought some synthetic watch oil, but do I now need to also buy some grease or is watch oil sufficient enough? How and with what do you all re-lube your cassette players' mechanical parts? Also, which parts should I focus on when re-lubing? Maybe there's some tutorials you might be able to recommend to me?

Best Regards,
    George Bond

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

There's a person here by the name of Valentin get a hold of him and also Deb 64. Those are your two best people to give you advice on what what to use and where

3. Michiel

Michiel New Member

Lately I picked up re-repairing some of my old devices. Did two TC-D5M recorders yesterday night. I was amazed by the smoothness of the mechanics after sitting for > ten years tucked away in a box after I repaired them. The ten year old, then new, belts were already in need of a replacement, but the grease I used was still in great shape. I used “Robbe Modellsport Teflon grease”, Product number: 5532. Can really recommend that stuff for greasing the cassette mechanics. For oil I used Marklin oil. Also still in good shape and didn’t turn into sticky stuff after sitting for so long. Use lubricants very sparingly, too much is not good for the player

Cassette2go likes this.
  4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

@George Bond There is a tutorial for the TPS-L2 here: https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sony-tps-l2-wm-3-restoration-tutorial-mechanical.7123/
    The main difference between the 2 mechanisms is the disc drive vs belt drive, but apart from that mechanisms are very similar.
    Apart from lubrication, it's a good idea to replace the entire rubber set (2 belts, 2 idlers, capstan ring, pinch roller).

Also, the lever mentioned here should be cleaned and re-lubed (with oil) even if it's not a problem at the moment: https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sony-wm-d6c-no-rewind-ff.4687/
    In the end there are some adjustments that need to be done, explained here: https://stereo2go.com/forums/thread...tments-applies-to-d6c-tc-d5m.7377/#post-53799

In regard to lubrication, watch oil is recommended for all rotating shafts. Only point where grease should be used is the back of thrust adjustment screw, where the flywheel rests. Type of grease used there is not critical.

Cassette2go likes this.