Marie...newbie....WM-EX402 help please

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Marie_H, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Hi
    I'm new to the forum and repair.

I have a Sony WM-EX402 walkman. Think it needs new drive belt. Took it to one of those pop up repair shops and the bloke nearly destroyed it!!!
    Anyway, I've got the back off but no idea how to release the motherboard or replace drive belt. Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2916893/Sony-Wm-Ex402.html?page=5#manual

Pages 5-7 in this service manual explains how to disassemble the unit (although you probably only need 5-6). I don't think anyone can explain it better than those diagrams. The manual also shows the drive belt path as well.

If you want more detailed info, you might make a post in the tech help section where the experts hang out.

Marie_H likes this.
  3. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Many thanks. Can you advise what size screwdriver I need for the Philips holding the main board in place please?

4. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure... I know that unit most likely doesn't use Philips, but rather JIS screws... which are basically Philips, but a little more shallow headed. JIS is a Japanese standard, that's why Sony (a Japanese company) uses it. With that said, a basic set of small to medium Philips drivers should do the trick if you are careful not to strip the heads.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Phillips-Screwdriver-TECKMAN-Commonly-Screwdrivers/dp/B0BB6NZDD7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26PZV4XVWEELU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.T7yk5ZFhNLJULuHJcvCc4Qa4uauX7s82oDMkbGToHwsBN9eJwjnExEa7OjP0ORdXMpBw9t_lfIkhuM6CJXlYjMiDXAxK7mUC2ATmUkRgls44uhHmyf6MFdE8ASPEGrYKvtuC3etTQ78uyKVAVGirEB8aSJnxfsPJj49chIcVBhSzloCnYnNkP1nP4t6vdpvB6rbIC2g8mOhEE6yHg_iT-iqAtArs1aOmbcwUTNvqCexI7w6twXlXrSH1mHF6HMYPWqyez_RD7BpyLvJ5X0Vngd69K6wGAI656fXWmDAsBcA.w1xzwtWZ5cU4mxt8Rmkmq8MUzt4eTWfXAV4J6XWquak&dib_tag=se&keywords=phillips+screwdriver+set+small&qid=1707866123&sprefix=phillips+screwdriver+set+small,aps,142&sr=8-5

...or if you actually want JIS drivers:
    https://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-Driver-Pollicis-58-0405/dp/B0001X0SK8/ref=sr_1_40?crid=29DJC7QG77DGR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.33Iv_3NSDt3nvXgERS4OSZyX1rHSOxTL3DCvTQc0I6IAi5WQ3YkZE4iRdisfJoc2F_hBuiBhad80z-nARH6ynTXDK98RcQd-IPvco3OjchSpwMwiOXUF3vw-AKVcbESKjJNYAEJLpB1-__p_S76IG6KpYQrd1_sn3Hur6CHRyZOmjNPv7QlSsApTabq7FM2OklPzeDIY6CdJtJrkU9QvTRoFWUBcjHspQUnDPZwra0aHmvXSWl3GdGCW8IhavngzP2tM1LIxDCsCfnlbhPZaBcEEo-6WZ__gl4fsxgkeT1s.FB42HovHejXD4r1_y0Z7D0qK2eABsDaXf6RGED_xhP0&dib_tag=se&keywords=JIS+screwdriver+set+small&qid=1707866259&sprefix=jis+screwdriver+set+small,aps,92&sr=8-40

You'd be using the smallest drivers in these sets, and the JIS is quite a bit more expensive as a rule.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

6. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Welcome Marie,
    And as other's pointed The sony service manuals are some the best out there they go into great detail about the product and having been a authorize sales and service for Sony in the past there is a lot shops that just plain need to stay away from items like this because they don't know the firsat thing about them and how to repair them but Yes Vessel screw drivers are worth their weight in gold !

Sincerely Richard

7. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Fixed and working. My first repair.
    I really struggled reattaching the ribbon cables (not sure they are fully in) as so tiny.
    Now I have a portable CD to figure out.
    Any advice?

8. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

9. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Thank you. Have done so. Is there a 'go to' place for service manuals by the way?