My collection

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by SantiOriginal, Sep 1, 2018.

1. SantiOriginal

SantiOriginal Active Member

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I keep wondering what your avatar of the three TVs is. Are they part of you collection.
    I have 2.5 JVC Videospheres but none of them are worthy of a picture.

SantiOriginal likes this.
  3. SantiOriginal

Hope you like them! Those are Indesit tv's. Two of them type 12SI and one type 12LD.
    All three Indesits are working perfect. But for the repair-guy - he is a true master - all three Indesits were a pain in the ass.

When I bought them they were just pieces of junk. He repaired them - all in original specs.
    Now I have connected them with my Chromecast, videorecorder, dvd player and tv-cable, so i can watch videoclips, movies or pictures. The cabling was dazzling complicated to achieve it.

People laughed at me stating it was impossible, but I proved otherwise. I don't have a modern TV: to big, overrated, not magical. But those Indesits are magical and a treat everyday!

I wanted to buy those JVC VideoSphere you have. But they are so expensive, even the broken ones! I really wish I had one.

So, never ever throw them away! Repair them and you will enjoy watching at them, visitors will be in awe! Don't hesitate doing it.
    And throw away your modern Tele. You won't miss it. Guaranteed!!

4. SantiOriginal

5. Longman

Thanks for the pictures. The Orange is such an iconic 1970s colour.
    If you ever get a Videosphere that would be the colour to go for.
    All three of mine started as white but are now that mucky cream colour like old computers go.
    They would be a good test for Retrobright.

I believe the two whole ones work. I got the first for free but only because it was badly packed causing the perspex visor to get cracked. The seller blamed the courier and claimed on their insurance and then refunded me.

The half is an empty case but again with no visor. I always thought it would be great to fit a small LCD screen in a Videosphere, something other people have done, but I don't seem to have much spare time for anything like that these days.

If you are into 1970s gear you might like to see the catalogue page I posted in this thread

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/giveaway-question.2065/#post-17344

Finally, I don't think my wife would give up the 32" Toshiba LCD here. Anyway it is one of the very last TVs to be made in the UK which is one of the reasons I bought it seven years ago.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

This makes me seriously consider getting my Sandan 5" Color portable w/remote repaired....:scratch2:

7. SantiOriginal

@nickelindimer i couldn't find a picture of the Sandan on the internet. Can you upload a photo of the device?

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice collection SantiOriginal and cool tvs. I'm still trying to get my Zealous to DVD splitter to work to power up all my little guys and watch tv from the antennas. It's a lot harder than the videos make it or my unit is defective.

9. SantiOriginal

@Mister X i'm not familiar with Zealous, but i split the signal just through a regular passive antenna-signalsplitter that is connected with a modulator that in turn is connected with my vcr that in turn is connected with a scart selector that in turn is connected with my " modern" television that in turn is connected with my chromecast. All is cable-connected - as you see in the pictures :) -

You must have lots of patience and try everything out. I have bought several units from chinese manufacturers, none worked except one.

Note that as of this year cable analoge tv-signal will be terminated in my area and will be replaced with cable digital tv-signal so i'm going to be presented with another problem to fix (probably i will cut the cord as i never watch pulp-tv) and save some money every month.

10. Mister X

The Zealous is a home transmitter that broadcasts on channels 12-28 but you dial it in with a screwdriver with no detents, they are on USA Ebay. By hooking up HDMI to composite I can go from my computer's HDMI to a HDMI/composite converter and then plug the composite to the Zealous and broadcast the signal. The little Watchman's also have a rotary dial with no detents and I haven't been able to sync in a channel yet.

I just picked up a Roku + that has composite hook ups so I can bypass the HDMI convertor and send a signal direct from wireless internet but I'm still waiting to get the Zealous right.

11. SantiOriginal

Hmmm... i’m not sure, but it sounds to me you need a strong modulator that channels and amplifies one and another, But i’m not sure of course. Its trail and error again and again. The Roku could do the job!

12. nickelindimer

If this is true, there is a bunch of people in a nursing-care home I know of that'll be very upset... That is, IF the same goes for digital satellite service.

Perhaps if you had a later model with scrolling auto-search digital tuner, like mine has, you might be able to lock-on to it, and do it with less effort... But I'm just guessing here.

13. SantiOriginal

@Mister X : Yes, for a lot of people the conversion from analoge to digital is very inconvenient.
    I'm not interested in cable-digital television, because what they offer is pulp.

There are other options if you really do not want to be dependent on cable-digital tele (DVB-C), but want to see all the pulp-channels :)
    :
    there is sattelite-television (DVB-S),
    there is through the ether/air (DVB-T),
    there is fiberglass/dsl/internet (IP-tv)

most modern tv's have a dvb-t reciever built in, so with a dvb-t antenna you can recieve the public channels for free, the rest of mostly pulp channels are coded, so you don't miss anything.
    If your tv doesn't have a dvb-t built in you can buy a stand alone dvb-t reciever.

I myself don't watch television anymore " old style" but watch video's of internet through smartphone and chromecast it on my television.

14. nickelindimer

I hear that, pretty-much... This past summer, most of my viewing habits were of YouTube content. In fact, when my 55" refurbished Sony failed, I relied on my Samsung Galaxy (w/cable-TV app) and my broadband service to view everything for a good while. As for streaming: Only to a friend's set, while visiting her in the home... if I got a good Wi-Fi signal while in her room!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  15. Longman

When talking about TV delivery, bear in mind that each country is different. I don't think DVB-T or DVB-S would mean anything to Americans. Both have free services Freeview and Freesat respectively.

Here in the UK we switched to Digital years ago, although some devices still support analogue outputs to TVs.
    Sky, the largest subscription service, which runs over satellite, uses Analogue outputs to provide a Multi-Room service.
    Cable users are in the minority, especially as it was only installed this year in a large estate about a mile from here.
    Subscription services (both cable and satellite) tend give you the equipment you need when you sign up (and tie you into a 12 month contract to make sure they get the cost of the equipment back).

Personally I have never felt the need to subscribe to any Subscription TV service.
    My 80MBit/s internet comes through the phone line installed in 1974 (using VDSL from a streetside cabinet just a few hundred metres from here).

With all the great stuff on Youtube I hardly have time to watch any of the 40 or so free channels available on DVB-T. The big shows like Strictly Come dancing (Dancing with the Stars), Britain's got Talent, The Voice, and The Apprentice are all available on it. The Subscription Services mainly appeal to Sports Fans. The only Live Football available to view for free recently was the World Cup. Apparently since getting into The Premier League, my local team (Bournemouth) makes over 95% of its income from TV rights.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  16. SantiOriginal

@Mister X : I hear you; the arrogant streaming cable broadcasters wil definitly plunche in crisis as not only you and me are switching behaviour. It's a good development. The fact they are cutting of the analog signal is the main reason i won't continue to pay so much money to them every month. In fact i realized i only watch 1 public channel, and thats available on the internet too.

As for consequenses: i think France by law decided that analoge tv-signal and AM radio must continue to broadcast. In case war breaks out.

17. Mister X

We still have analog here but it is hard to find the stations and they are mostly shop at home or religious programming. The cable laws used to state that if a local station was broadcasting over the air, the local cable system had to carry that channel so even though they were very small stations, they got to ride the cable lines for free.

I have several boomboxes and Watchmans with tvs that I'd like to play with. Unfortunately these only have normal antennas without any way to watch through plugs or jacks. Over the air broadcasting is the only way I know of.

18. SantiOriginal

@Mister X as @Longman already mentioned: every part of the world seem to have developed different ways of watching television. tutorials at youtube can give you more clearance specifically for your configuration. But one thing is for sure: it IS possible :)

19. Longman

This is actually a very topical thread as it has been announced tonight that Sky (who Americans probably haven't heard of) is being bought be Comcast (who Europeans probably haven't heard of) for £30.5 billion. That is £1326 per subscriber !

It also means that Amstrad, who used to make cheap audio gear before moving on to Satellite Receivers, will be owned by Comcast.
    I doubt whether they will be trying ti recover the costs of their purchase by selling boomboxes though, and they certainly won't be selling Double Deck VCRs for video tape to tape copying again

p.s If the price seems high it is Australian

20. Mister X

Here's the setup I'm trying to mimic. I can't get the Watchman to sync with the Zealous yet.