My crazy Walkman project

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by thewalkmangallery, May 30, 2023.

1. thewalkmangallery

thewalkmangallery Member

[EDIT] My 2nd board with the colored walkman is done ! You can have a look here (I will add the English subtitles a bit later)

Hope you'll like it !

About 2,5 years ago, I wanted to buy an old walkman to show to my daughter (#gooddad), so I reopened my amazing book "Sony Design: MAKING MODERN" and these 2 photos hit me right in the feels.

[​IMG]
    (here they are cropped, but the 2 original photos are two times bigger with 2 times more products)

So I started to look for some of the models highlighted in these photos. And I bought one Walkman. Then a Discman. And after that, a Minidisc player. And when I had 6-7 models of these photos, I asked myself :
    "Hey ! Why not trying to get them all and reproduce this two photos ?" :delighted:

And after 2,5 years of long search and thanks to Mystereo who helped me to find the last models (thanks again M.), the B&W board is now complete and here is a little video that I made so you can see it. It's in French but I added Eng. subtitles :

I will share with you the video of the colored board once it's done (unfortunately 2 models are still missing for this one so I replaced them with look-alike models...for now)

Hope you like it !

FUN FACT : I worked for Sony during 6 years in 2010 - it's where I get the book. But it's only 2 years ago that I had the idea. Bad timing right ?:ohno2:

Models used in the video :

WM-30, D-EJ955, WM-504, MZ-E44, D-121, MZ-2, MZ-E30, D-EJ01 (D-E01), WM-10 (WM-20), D-50mkII, WM-EX808, MZ-E10, D-82, WM-509, WM-DD, WM-EQ (Beans), WM-EX1, MZ-E55.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  2. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Thewalkmangallery. Congratulations. Great collection. Are they all working? Love that book. Never seen anything like that before.

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  3. thewalkmangallery

thewalkmangallery Member

Yes they are all working (or at least turning on) as I want to be able to pick one of them when I want to play some music. The idea is to have an interactive artwork. But I still have to repair some of them.

4. DK0

DK0 New Member

C’est magnifique!

thewalkmangallery and Patex like this.
  5. Patex

Patex Member

OOOhh, that's a cool idea!
    You have a splendid collection in perfect condition,
    well done...I can't wait to see your Walkmans in color ! :hungry:
    And your video very well done:applause
    Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

thewalkmangallery likes this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The pictures don't do the product justice, when you have the physical units set out they have a very special appeal. All the buttons, knobs and funky designs were so enduring back then and even today look really nice. That's a great project, I've found some very rare units after years of looking, just need to get my camera set back up so I can post some photos. Then I need to start thinking about some cool display cases.

Thanks for posting!

Hyperscope likes this.
  7. thewalkmangallery

thewalkmangallery Member

I agree and this is exactly why I wanted to get them for real : being able to actually see/touch them. These pictures were beautiful but in the meantime terribly frustrating hahaha. Will be happy to see your rare units too !

Mister X likes this.
  8. thewalkmangallery

thewalkmangallery Member

Thank you so much, it’s super encouraging :)

Mister X likes this.
  9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Great video, Its encouraging me to work on publishing a book about walkmans. Your book "Sony Design: MAKING MODERN" is a collectible one. Also I saw a Wm-504 in your collection :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

thewalkmangallery and Mister X like this.
  10. Mister X

Boodokhan, it would be cool to have a chapter on collectors that have something like thewalkmangallery did, personally I think of catalog cut-sheets with a bunch of units on the front and I try to get all of them, which is almost impossible. The collectors could show the catalog page and the collection.

Boodokhan likes this.
  11. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Glad they did not have only DD9s and 504s in this picture, as this was already an expensive undertaking!

Duey71 likes this.
  12. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I will start this project hopefully in November or December. It require a lot of work including taking hi-res pictures. I will focus on collectible/ valuable walkman to make it practical. I will place a topic to get members opinion about the possible book, what to include and lay-out..... .

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

I can type like crazy if I have the specs!

14. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

Display cases! I searched all over Amazon and ebay for display cases. I was disappointed. Many trade show cases for collectors of cards. Wood frame and glass. I'm thinking more durable and water proof, like a large latching Pelican case for Laptop computers but with a clear lid. If anyone can point to the right place to look?

15. Mister X

I have a full woodshop so buying never crossed my mind but IKEA does have some interesting ones.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

That is a brilliant collection.Surprised your d-82 discman works.
    I have about 6 and all needed the cog changed that moves the laser sleigh.
    (manufacturing issue where the grease degraded the cog)
    Was that impressed i ordered the book!

17. thewalkmangallery

thewalkmangallery Member

Thank you Thomas, indeed I also had to change the cog on the d-82, I believe they all had this problem. Great for the book, I’m sure you’ll like it. Did you find it in English ? I thought it was now only available in Japanese.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  18. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

Hi,Luckily i managed to find an English version on a Japanese website!
    Also picked up a vinyl Sony Boy aswell!

Attached Files:

thewalkmangallery likes this.