My new boxed Sanyo JJ-P6

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by mankamaz, Dec 3, 2019.

1. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Hi friends,

I´m very happy to show you my totally new Sanyo quarter series, the most impressive aspect is that works perfectly, perfect sound and accurate tape speed, even the rechargeable battery is still alive!

SANYO JJ-P6 04.jpg

Attached Files:

2. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

WOW amazing please post pics showing the tape mechanism please.
    Where did you find this?

3. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Hello Rcpilot23, sorry for the delay, I´ve been on holidays

below can see some pictures of the mechanism (inside tape housing)

Attached Files:

Jorge likes this.
  4. SanieYo

SanieYo New Member

Hey I just picked up A JJ-p6 myself
    Is there any chance you could send me photos of the instruction manual? I'm trying to figure out if there is an adjustable speed for walkman and if there is an azimuth adjustment

5. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

It most certainly has both Speed and Azimuth. There should even be easy access through back cover. Tiny hole for speed..and twin holes for the azimuth. Yep I can see them in the photos. One of the easier range of portables to adjust. The belt is not difficult to replace ... but it's a rather fiddly / tiny screw affair - and some crucial things to watch for but over all will be routine if you are careful. While this Range the JJ-(1987-88-89) .. with the same internal mechanism is tempermental with some tapes.. and random problems like not playing reverse side very well, when working they sound stellar and within the range the specs indicate.. like .5 wow and flutter is high but acceptable. You will notice on Piano or long note music the warble easily with these units. The manual warns against using 120 tapes (I have never seen) .. I'd stick with 90 and under . The instruction manual doesn't mention anything about how to adjust speed or Azimuth . That would be in the Repair manual which I have never seen. Inside and out these are true work of art - belt drive simplicity - every so often if it gets jammed due to old belt.. I have seen a few major cogs get cracked..but I think they were forced..teeth sheered off, so beware of that with these units - but they don't show indication of being overly brittle or cracking due to age.. I have seen mixed white nylon and a yellow clear type of plastic with the cogs. There is a guy in Russian who I get belts from who makes the proper small square cut belt for this.. I'm sure a round belt would work as well with some experimenting. It's a very tiny belt and only one. The radio reception is robust as well. 3 ways to power these up is a great bonus as well.. (power adapter / gum stick nicad / and 1xAA battery adapter)

6. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I have the touch button version - JJP101. I managed to change the belt quite successfully and it ran well for a year or so but now it wont play the tape for more than a few seconds before the auto reverse kicks in. It rewinds and fast forwards ok. Ive had a poke around inside but cant see anything obvious. Cant work out if its a mechanical issue or an electronic one.

IMG_4654 (1).JPG IMG_7167.JPG IMG_7170.JPG

Attached Files:

Emiel, Derek marshall and Silver965 like this.
  7. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

ianthepostie likes this.
  8. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Love the look of it. Unusual design.

9. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

Ok it's almost exactly like the JJ-P6 - but some interesting changes like an actual Solenoid not found on JJP6 -

Checklist of things first.. clean belt path , make sure belt is snug (not playing these things weekly or monthly they will start to sag)
    Check Capstans and Rubber as well - make sure rubber isn't slippery - make sure capstans have enough lubrication .
    Main thing though.. if you want them to keep operating you have to play them often - and if you have it stored..take the belt out.
    You didn't show the gears under the cover in the cassette loading compartment (between the take up reels) -
    those are the ones that can crack sometimes. Set of 4 tiny gears that just pop out when you
    take the cover off.. those cause playback issues like you describe as well if they are busted.
    See pics attached of the gears and location you'll find them -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    Valentin, ianthepostie, Emiel and 2 others like this.
  10. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

11. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

It's a little more daunting with those feather touch controls. Good luck.