My Small Sony Collection

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by PJ0688, Sep 5, 2019.

1. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Hi Guys,
    I thought I'd share my very small collection, it's nothing special, just an accumulation of Sony gear I've managed to obtain. I've decided to post because I've recently got the PCM-D50, which to me is the grandson of the WM-D6C.
    (Keep in my mind: I'm not a photographer)
    P1120404.jpg P1120412.jpg
    P1120410.jpg P1120423.jpg
    P1120424.jpg
    I'd eventually like to get a TCD-D100, WMD-DT1, WM-DC2 and a DD9 in better condition, I think that'll complete my collection.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    slinger333, Jorge, Command8 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great units, you've got the cornerstones and you can always spice it up with some AIWAs.

PJ0688 likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Beautiful
    You already got some of the best portable players: D6C, DD9, DD30, D5 :thumbup:

Jorge and PJ0688 like this.
  4. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Thanks Guys, My DD30 is actually a DD1 of the lower tier DD models. I'll have to do some research on Aiwa walkmans

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Not a fan of the PCM but I love the MZ-RH1. Stunning machine!

PJ0688 likes this.
  6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

lovely collection! is that the d5 with XLR or RCA jacks?

PJ0688 likes this.
  7. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Nah, it's the D5m with the RCA line in and TRS mic inputs. The D5 pro and pro II have XLR, but they don't do line in.

8. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Nice to see a couple of MD Walkman there. I have a few of these units and lately discovered Sony shipped the high end models with the MDR-E741 bud headphones. I never bothered to research these but recently I acquired a set of MDR-E747 headphones which fetch ridiculous prices because of their Fontopia design with the adjustable bass caps and clear treble and mid response. The MDR-E471 are basically the same headphones in a different housing minus the wonderful wind up Sony case. Pity.

Now. Happy to share info on Aiwas too. I have 6 in my collection now including the most desirable HS-G500 with full soft touch logic controls and remote. These were feature packed players for 1985 but complex and very very hard to do the simplest belt change on. Aiwa produced the most beautiful designs in my view between 1985 to 1988. Also worth looking at are some of the Toshiba players from the same era which look very much like they were modelled on Aiwa HS-G09 and T09 "Cassette Boy" JDM releases.

The attached image is a set of vintage MDR-E747 headphones from 1989 which my tech guru has cleaned and restored. The silver grills were removed and cleaned in a sonic cleaner with fantastic results. I'm going to get one myself. 20190907_170001.jpg
    20190907_170031.jpg

Jorge and PJ0688 like this.
  9. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Well because the RH1 is so expensive, I don't really want to use it for anything practical like recording analog signals. I wanted something that would produce about the same audio quality, had optical input, so it was either the PCM-D50 or another HiMD, I went with the D50 because it won't wear out as fast as a mechanical device, it does 24-bit audio, has Super Bit Mapping, optical out, I don't have to use Sonic Stage and it just looks nice. I don't use it for playback, that's what the MZ-EH50 is for. The RH1 is used for recording HiMD and downloading standard MDs, but most of the time it sits in it's little Sony pouch, I don't want to damage it.

10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Well these headphones perform really well on the DD9 from the same era. I guess that's not surprising. 20190908_181414.jpg

ElisioClio and PJ0688 like this.