New member from New York

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Hearst, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Hearst

Hearst New Member

Hi everyone,
    wanted to introduce myself.

I've been a fan of cassette since as long as I can remember, cassettes really capture the spirit of DIY, especially the cassette recorders of the 80s by Marantz and Sony.

I finally grabbed a Sony WM-D6c that works perfectly and picked up another one recently off ebay from a seller who said he tested it and it was functioning, I received it today and noticed the fast forward is having clicking and issues in the gear. I opened it up and noticed a small crack in one of the plastic gears.

I'm looking to have this repaired and any help or tips in the right direction are greatly appreciated :)

I heard about Doctor Walkman but I'm located in the US and am worried about sending fragile electronics overseas. Any tips for those of us in the states?

thank you!

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hello Hearst and welcome to S2G forum
    I have a clicking D6C as well (sadly I bought it from a member who claimed that it works perfectly but it has a loud click)
    anyway, any gear can shrink and break and apart from famous DD series i have seen this clicking issue with different Sony (WM-10/20/30, WM-800, WM-150, D6C..)
    regarding the repair/ service you are right about problem we have in America, unfortunately we do not have a well known technician who can fix these equipment or at least i am not aware of it. We have several professional members who accept these type of services:
    @Sergi (Barcelona), @Doctor Walkman (Italy), @mihokm ( Slovakia) can fix your walkman.
    I sent several walkman units to Mihokm and Sergi and i am 100% pleased with their work. Unfortunately I never had the chance/luck to send any walkman to doctor walkman but his reputation is well known. ( I would love to send him some walkman for service/repair but i do not have the patience to wait in the line :wink:).
    We have another member @matic777 (Slovenia) who is a professional in fixing DD series (I shipped a package to him recently). I am not sure he accepts other type of service/repair but i will update you once I received the answer from him.
    regarding the possible damage with shipment it can happen but thankfully I never had this issue in the past.

Hearst likes this.
  3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go Hearst

If you pack your units very carefully, you should be fine to send it anywhere without worry of it getting broken.
    I just got some DC2's back from Doctor Walkman. Yes it was a long wait, well over 3 years i think but it was worth the wait and i was not that bothered anyway as i had more units D6C, DC2 and DD9.

You may have no choice but to send it outside of America to get it fixed. I have also used Magnetic Blood in Romania to get one of my D6C's fixed so i can recommend him too.

Hearst likes this.
  4. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome!! :wavey:

Hearst likes this.
  5. Hearst

Hearst New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I talked to Dr. Walkman, he is very passionate about these walkmans, 3 years is simply too long for me to wait unfortunately. Would be great if there were replacement parts or even if someone manufactured metal versions of the plastic gears, one can dream! I have decided to take a gamble on someone who says they repair cassette walkmans here in the states, I just shipped them out today so wish me luck! I will report back once I receive them back! Any news regarding these walkmans please feel free to tag me or send me links to anything as I can't get enough of these walkmans :) So happy to have found this community of cassette and tape machine lovers x

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great choice in equipment, you might have seen my Ultimate Marantz Thread with some of the Marantz Field Recorders in it, they tend to still have bargains and they're great units, the Sony's are really shooting up in value and getting harder to find.

7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

What up