Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by maximilianrb, Mar 3, 2020.

1. maximilianrb

maximilianrb New Member

Hello everyone I am new to the hifi world and am exited to learn as much as I can! Im from California in the valley. I like thrifting for anything cassette or vinyl. Just recently set up a turn table and cassette deck in my room and am looking forward to upgrading pieces of the puzzle.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome. It is good to see young people still interested in the old formats. When I was your age they were the latest and greatest thing and apart from one new Boombox and one new Sanyo personal stereo I was collecting Tube radios. This morning "The Golden Hour" on the radio was 1992. As I said to a colleague you know you are getting old when 1992 seems like a recent year ! :wink2.

maximilianrb likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hello @maximilianrb and welcome to S2G
    I am from valley too, we might be neighbors :thumbsup2:

maximilianrb likes this.
  4. maximilianrb

maximilianrb New Member

Thank you for the great welcome! about half a year ago I discovered my love for old music formats and older technology. I now have 3 boom boxes three cassette decks and I just got a Fostex R8. Im almost running out of room.

5. maximilianrb

maximilianrb New Member

thats awesome! I live around the Topanga Mall. Boodokhan What do you think about the valley thrift scene?

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Keep your eyes open and hit that last garage sale, I used to have great luck finding all kinds of stuff, I don't look as much anymore but I've found a little of everything. Learn how to service the equipment, a nice screwdriver set, multimeter and soldering iron can fix most issues, you can start on the entry level equipment and hone your skills.

Thrift stores are getting harder to find cool equipment, in the 2000's they didn't know what they had, now they do and some ends up on the auction sites where they get much more money. Garage sales and estate sales are much better but if the word "electronics" is in the ad, guys will be lining up before opening. Friends 50+ might still have stuff in the garage or drawers, I've got a lot of stuff just asking the hockey team guys. Good luck, post your finds!

maximilianrb likes this.
  7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Wow, closer than what I thought. Topanga mall to Ventura and Shoup intersection is almost like a walking distance. We have another member who lives in Malibu and am always grateful of this site who gave the chance to meet and know @Jorge.
    Anyway, thrift stores in LA are great for cassettes, CDs or Vinyls.

Jorge and maximilianrb like this.
  8. maximilianrb

maximilianrb New Member

Ive found most my stuff thrifting through Goodwill and other various mom and pop thrifts. I have replaced and cleaned up a sony TC-WR635S and also an RCA boom box radio cassette player. I also just recently had a friend give me a soldering iron. I have a toshiba KT-S3 that I need to replace the belt and change to lithium ion battery.

Mister X likes this.
  9. maximilianrb

maximilianrb New Member

thats awesome! Thats totally cool that there are people nearby that are interested in the same things. In the near future ill be posting what I find and have.

Jorge and Boodokhan like this.