News Lou Ottens

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by K7guy, Mar 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. K7guy

K7guy Member

ML4949 likes this.
  2. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

RIP Mr. Lou.
    We owe to him for being here in this forum.

ML4949 and K7guy like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

There is a picture of him in this article which I posted in an earlier thread
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/03/dutch-inventor-of-the-audio-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94/

After mentioning it on last nights Radio 4 News, tonight they had about a five minute feature, including someone who met him while taking part in this film
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236310/

The conclusion amongst the people discussing cassettes was that the best thing about them was the ability to make your own mixtapes and J cards to go with them.
    Possibly the most personal form of music recording ever devised.

ML4949 and K7guy like this.
  4. K7guy

K7guy Member

One of the symbols created by Mr. Lou is still used to demonstrate a RECORDING (the cassette tape)... Even in the digital age.

I read an article that claimed that cassette recordings were still used by police and investigation departments. I started in November 2019 and continue collecting and collecting cassettes and walkmans. I make my recordings even on tapes already recorded to be able to reuse them, it's amazing how they can still be useful. This documentary is really interesting, I watched it last year. I hope that some big company: LG, Sony, Phillips or Samsung will at least resume the production of cassette tapes. The spillover of millions of reproductive devices in the 1970s to 2000 was so great that even today, buying and reconditioning one for use, is perfectly feasible anywhere in the world.

5. K7guy

K7guy Member

According to excerpts from this video (in Lou's words), the best use for cassette tapes was the creation of the Portable Player by Sony and other companies, they made Lou's dream come true: carrying his own music selection in his pocket, in a tangible physical format.

In this way you can also show someone, literally, what you are listening to.