Noise reduction on the Sony WM-FX series?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by lunasspecto, Feb 15, 2022.

1. lunasspecto

lunasspecto New Member

I saw someone selling the Sony WM-FX163 online (a 1995 model, I think) and although I'm aware this is not at all a top-of-the-line model from Sony, I was intrigued because I think it might be the exact model I had as a kid. However, I don't see any Dolby logo or mention of noise reduction either on the unit itself or in the manual I found online. When I was a kid I didn't know Dolby NR had been common in previous Sony Walkman models, but now I'm wondering if the WM-FX line just generally lacks noise reduction. Is there a good page that summarizes the features common to this line of Walkman models?

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

lunasspecto likes this.
  3. lunasspecto

lunasspecto New Member

Thanks. Walkman Central doesn't have this exact model but the WM-FX121 is is very similar. No note on whether it has Dolby NR but I'm assuming the basic feature set and lack of mention means it doesn't have NR. This family of models also seems to generally lack auto-reverse, and it looks like most don't have NR except for a couple models like the WM-FX325 and WM-FX413

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Not having auto-reverse is not a bad thing.

5. lunasspecto

lunasspecto New Member

Not an essential feature, maybe, and I'm sure there are things that can go wrong with it, but I'm interested in portables that can change the direction of play without me opening them up and flipping the cassette. I'm starting to keep my eye on a few of the Sony "Sports" models like the WM-F73, WM-FS399 and WM-FS400 that have this feature, Dolby, and a rugged enclosure that uses a sturdy clasp to hold the player shut.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  6. Chinewalker

Chinewalker New Member

I've found several of the F, FS, and FX lines that have Dolby - as a rule they always have the Dolby logo on the face. They are usually the top end of whatever series Sony offered. I have a F-2068 with Dolby - it's very similar to the FX 33/F-2065, but with Dolby added. Another example is the FX39 is basically the FX38 with Dolby added. They're out there, but less common than models further down the model line.

lunasspecto likes this.