ONE AIWA HS-J02 AFTER A BASIC REPAIR

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by kanamaster, Dec 6, 2021.

1. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

I received this little monster some days ago. It was dead. So I opened it and with much of patience and some time (days) I dismounted both capstan fly wheels to be able to clean all the rests of what one day was a belt. Now it was a sticky stuff sticked to the wheels. Also I had to find rests of the old belt hidden in different parts of the mechanism. After that, new belt. Then I found two or three super-mega-micro thin cables, each with one of their ends loose. (Maybe I broke them myself when opening the case and I didn't notice it at the time.) I had to open another HS-J02 that I have, so I could see where these tiny cables should be soldered. I can say it in just those few words. But you can believe me that it takes TIME. One must be very careful doing all this, and manipulating such "minithings" is everything but easy.
    Basically that was all I did. To my luck, after that cleaning and repair, the walkman began working again. If I had to do a really electronic repair, I couldn't have done it. I don't have the necessary knowledge for that. Speed is OK. Head is in perfect conditions. To my ears, wow and flutter is not detectable in this walkman. (I repeat: to my ears.) Radio works and so its stereo feature. But it happens that in the part of the town where I live, the reception of FM is rather weak. I live sorrounded by high constructions. It's a kind of "hole" here. That's why the stereo FM signal is not very strong. But it works.
    As you can see, the case of the walkman has several visible signs of wear. I guess it didn't have the most careful owner(s) before falling into my hands. Anyway, even not showing the best cosmetical condition, it's a working piece of history with a still very good sound quality.

Shaman32, RTB and Raul like this.
  2. Raul

Raul Active Member

It's really lovely unit

kanamaster likes this.
  3. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

Thanks. It's been always one of my favorites, and at the same time one of the very first walkmans I could use (though not mine) back there in the early 80's
    I have two more that I am trying to recover too, but I don't have all the time I would like to have for theses things, nor the necessary knowledge in electronics. Let's see what I can do little by little.
    Regards.

4. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

By the way, I wonder if anyone here could give me a light on how to find screws like the ones of the picture. I need some of them for the other two walmans. (Even for some others that I could buy to repair.)

[​IMG]

Raul likes this.
  5. Raul

Raul Active Member

I hope you will repair them. I know how nice is to get to the point that they work.
    About screews, I wish I know. Only shop that was selling small screews was fixyouraudio .

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    kanamaster likes this.
  6. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

You're right! Thanks for the advice. I'll see what they have.
    Regards.

Raul likes this.
  7. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

I have just sent them an email. Let's see what they answer.
    Regards.

8. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

Hello again. I received answer from FixYourAudio. This is what they say:

"In this set, only M1.4 screws are contained. These screws are used in the majority of personal cassette players. From your image, I see that you need the screws with the larger diameter.
    Unfortunately, I do not have these. Thank you very much.
    Kind regards."

Bad luck.
    Kind regards.

9. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

Hello again.... And here I'm presenting to you my second rescued AIWA HS-J02. The only difference with the one I presented before, is that this ne doesn't have the sticker on the front. It was another dead unit when it came into my hands a couple of weeks ago. So, a good cleaning of the rests of the old belt and its replacement for a new one from FixYourAudio. Some cable soldering. Some adjustments of speed and azimuth. Some oiling. Some hours of a "test run" with "load" (a cassette) after who knows how long without being used, and to also move the mechanisms of the autoreverse, the rewind and fast forward, etc. You can hear how it sounds now. The magnetic heads show to be in very good conditions spite the around 40 years since this walkman was bought by its first owner. Definitely, this is one of my favorite models (if not my absolute favorite) of the "good old times" of Aiwa. Are more units like these (or maybe some other very specific models of that era) coming into my hands looking for a "rescue from death"? Who knows.....? Let's wait and see.

10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Jorge and kanamaster like this.
  11. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

Jorge likes this.
  12. RTB

RTB Member

Hi Kanamaster,
    I have an HS-J02 that I bought on ebay a while ago. A heavy but well made unit. I like it too.
    This one needed a new belt and a bit of a clean up. The speed also needed adjusting.
    It is working but it only plays in the forward direction, the mechanism functions correctly and the tape plays in the reverse direction but there is no audio output.
    Do you have the service manual?

kanamaster likes this.
  13. kanamaster

kanamaster Member

Hello. Here you are three different websites where you can buy the PDF of the service manual for a very cheap price:
    Code:
    https://www.manuals-in-pdf.com/download-HSJ02-AIWA-p-160932.html
    https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/aiwa/hsj02-service-manual.html#.Yc78rFmkGCg
    https://www.owner-manuals.com/HSJ02-service-manual-AIWA.html
    Wish you luck!
    Regards.

Jorge likes this.
  14. Tim Walters

Tim Walters Member

I love the Aiwa!! as for the screws, I have lots of junk walkmans, I take screws from them.

15. Shaman32

Shaman32 Member

Regards acquiring screws sometimes you just have to use a donner model in other words make one good out of 2, kind regards shaman

16. Shaman32

Shaman32 Member

17. Shaman32

Shaman32 Member

Greetings there is a switch that is mechanically actuated I suggest you this older it and carefully take it apart and clean it taking photographs first that may do the trick!
    Regards

RTB likes this.