Panasonic Cxx boxes bad capacitors

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Michiel, Oct 12, 2024.

1. Michiel

Michiel New Member

I have four Panasonic RX-C50 boxes. Only one was operating normally. So I decided to check the inside. I have never seen it so bad, but almost every capacitor has corrosion and green legs. Even the one that still works has the same problem. I replaced the capacitors in the working one. Tried to fix a non-functional one and came to the conclusion that the rotten caps also destroyed the poweramp. Ordered a new IC, so hope this was the only damage.

Is this a common problem with this RX-Cxx models from Panasonic? I would love to get a C60 or C100. The C50 sounds so great! But not if I have to recap the whole box to enjoy it! Any experiences?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2024
    Hyperscope likes this.
  2. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

I Googled the Panasonic RX-C50 to see what it looks like. 1980's box and bad caps already? They must have used a really bad low quality brand or it was a bad batch. Is there a name on those old bad capacitors?
    Anyway, always cool to hear that there other fanatics out there painstakingly replacing the capacitors in their boom boxes :bigthumbsup: We need some pictures please!

Michiel likes this.
  3. Michiel

Michiel New Member

Panny RX-C50 is a nice collectable boombox. Its small, they take not much room, they are stackable, there are six or seven colors, and they are the most powerfull mini's I've ever heard :)

The caps problem is strange. I've got quite a few boxes and I hardly have to replace capacitors. I guess 99,99 of all caps are still original and the boxes are playing just fine. The RX-C50 seems to be different. Almost all caps look like this:

Caps - Copy.jpg

And an overview of the box with all the caps I replaced....

Panasonic RX-C50 - Copy.jpg

Hyperscope likes this.
  4. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

And what does it say on the capacitor itself? What brand? Curious that's all. It has to be an off brand junk, not Nichicon, Elna, Rubycon etc.,