Panasonic's RX-S40: a rival to sony?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Command8, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I was curious of brand's other then sony that attempted mechanisms outside of belt drives.

I only found panasonic's rx-s40/41 cassette players.
    Last mentioned of to my knowledge, from dearly missed member @JohnEdward as well as @kent.

Described by @JohnEdward's "...RX-S40 DIRECT DRIVE AMORPHOUS player. You must give credit to Panasonic to produce a collapsible player like the WM-10,20,30,40 series of Sony and include a AM/FM radio AND DIRECT DRIVE SYSTEM with AMORPHOUS HEAD TECHNOLOGY. This model released I believe in 1985 and is still a flagship of performance for Panasonic in the 80’s. It is the smallest Direct Drive Walkman ever made as far as I know. The face actuated FF and REW work perfectly. Sadly they did not include Dolby C which would have made this an astounding player. I can tell you the sonic quality of sound is nearly on par with the DC2 exclusive of not having dolby C. This player makes you feel like the violin soloist is sitting next to you and you can hear the sound of the bow drawing across the strings. Truly a clarity and smooth sound without harshness that sometimes the DC2 touches upon. YES SADLY the center gear is cracked and clicking. It was minimal a year ago when purchased but after use it has become audible in the headphones and am afraid it will eat tapes soon… a SHAME. You would think being another mfg. company that the same mistake of material used in center gear would have been different, alas no. National made a sister model also both makes available in Black or Silver. I love the look of this player. It just does not look like any other player off hand I can think of. Do a search S2G for this model I put up a long post this model only with pictures comparing the DC2 and WM-40."

http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=534844559046184511&board_oid=193392314111653483

I am curious of how the gear driven walkman works.
    Furthermore if the comparison between the RX-S40 and the DC2 is a fair comparison or not in terms of sound quality.
    I have only found several pictures of it' s technical information.
    One being from a service manual likely
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the other, a picture of it's insides from a Chinese forum
    [​IMG]
    https://www.jdbbs.com/thread-8158912-2-1.html

Other than those nuggets of information; this model is a complete ghost.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Looking at the frequency response of that model; is frequency response determined by the head or by the circuit of a walkman?

Migilus Migilacuty likes this.
  2. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Frequency response is a measurement of the output, so it will be a measurement of impedance. You can basically measure impedance at any point where there is resistance, so the head and the circuits are all a factor. And so, the quality of the components is a factor. But with a 3V walkman there’s only so much you can expect!

One for sale in Japan, £100 https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x583005249

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Yeah I noticed the auction, I'm quite curious of it's capabilities in comparison to sony's DD Walkman and panasonic's rq S60/80 stereo 2 go.