Pioneer CT-S530 / CT-S630S

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by ciclosysombras, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ciclosysombras

ciclosysombras Member

My first 3 head decks, the first, the CT-S530 I bought by 55e and this one needed a serious service (the motor emitted a strange screech and the tape speed was very slow). I oiled all motors and gears dismantling the mechanical part of the deck and assembling everything again. On the first play the screech continues, but in the following reproductions he stopped listening to the screech. Finally I tuned the tape speed using a reference tape from my 2 head deck.

The second, the CT-S630S, was a gift from my girlfriend and she spend 25e for it. Only needed oiling and tape speed adjustment. Both decks are the same with the diference of the Dolby S on the last mentioned.

Both decks sounds good, better than my first two head deck with more sound detail and more silence on the background and the records sounds very good. What are your experience with this models or the similar in this series?
    IMG_20190414_194143.jpg
    Both decks has the inconvenience of no manual BIAS calibration, all are automatic.

Greetings!!

PD: Actually I'm repairing the CTS-630S because a few weeks ago it was completely with a stuck tape without being able to extract it. I have to realign the heads again because I had to force the tape out.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice looking deck, I don't have one like that, a few that are older. Do you think the motor was seizing up and needed some oil? Screeching sounds are always tough, a lot of my tapes have developed it so I have to check the tapes first.