Portable Boombox Issues

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by bass box, Jan 29, 2022.

1. bass box

bass box New Member

Hi all:

I've acquired another portable unit from the 90's, (Aiwa CSD-ES227 to be precise) and it has a few problems. Initially, the CD player wouldn't spin up and the TRACK indicator wouldn't light up. The function slider was dirty which made it function poorly as well. I completely tore down the unit and "deep cleaned" it inside and out. I reassembled the unit correctly only to have more problems than before.

The CD still doesn't spin up, the light did come on for a few seconds but then went out and it hasn't turned on since.

The bigger problem is with the amplifier or volume potentiometer that has come up after I reassembled the unit. There is no sound with any function unless I turn the volume knob up to 100 percent, in which I can very faintly hear the output. I feel like the amplifier isn't turning on like it's supposed to, but it could also be a different issue. I thought it was a problem with the speakers, but the problem is identical with headphones too.

I would like to get this guy up and running, any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'd pull it back apart and really look closely at any wired connections, especially ribbon connectors. I don't have one but I'm guessing there's one circuit board under the volume dial side. Look at it closely for a broken board, when newer units get dropped sometimes the boards will crack but not fully break apart.

I'm surprised a unit this new is not working, which makes me think it was dropped.