1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Cassette Newspaper Ads!

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

1981, The Michigan Daily, I'm not sure why the Sony FM only radio is so much but this was when FM was just taking off and stereo was king.

1982 MI Daily.jpg

2. Mister X

From my stomping grounds in Michigan when I was young, Highland Appliance, Fretter Appliance and ABC Warehouse owned the cool electronics outside of the camera and specialty stores. This is from 1978, Highland always had neat ads with line drawings of stereos and they knew how to draw you in with good-better-best pricing. It was fun looking through the Sunday Paper and checking out all of the neat stuff for sale but even then this was big money.

Highland 1978.jpg

3. Mister X

More neat stuff from 1981, check out the Sanyo M8500! I never saw one back home and it was pretty inexpensive back then. Some of the bigger components didn't have model numbers, the appliance stores would have 10% discount against competitors but you needed the model number and ad to get it. Coleco Football, was it better than Mattel?

Mi Daily 1981 1.jpg

4. Mister X

1983, the AIWA looks nice but I'd pass on the JVC

Mi Daily 1981 2.jpg

5. Mister X

1977 Superscope CRS-152, is this the first three-piece?

1977.jpg

6. Mister X

1983 General Electric Boombox Model 36035 with those massive 8" speakers, yep I have one. It's interesting that Maxell partnered with GE for this promotion. Spring Break was a typical 80's movie that showed up on cable pretty quickly. I was more impressed by PRINCE for $12.50 in Ann Arbor. He was riding high with the 1999 album and Minnesota Bands were ultra hot, that would have been a great show but I was just a youngster at the time.

1983 Maxell.jpg

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

In the 20th century the main purpose of a bands tour was to promote their latest album. In the 21st century they have to make money from their tour as they get about three pence per 1000 listens of the album on Spotify.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-expensive-than-ever-and-fans-keep-paying-up

In 2007 Prince "gave away" his latest latest album free with a U.K. Newspaper.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mo...e-album-FREE-inside-weekends-Mail-Sunday.html

At the time it was common place to get a free CD (often an oldies compilation but later a classic album - I have Culture Club's "Colour By Numbers" sat here on the table) with your Sunday Newspaper.

Prince's decision was actually economic. He knew he would make little money from sales of the CD but it was good promotion for 21 sell out shows at a top London Venue which earned him $18.8 million.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(Prince_album)#Release_and_promotion

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  8. Mister X

I wish our papers had free CDs, we never got that lucky.

A lot of these artists also wanted to get chart numbers and for a while albums given out were added. I think the chart guys changed the rules so only bought albums charted, it had something to do with big bands like Prince giving away hundreds of thousands of CDs and instantly breaking the top ten. I'm just going by memory but I remember it was an issue back in the early 2000's.

9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

To give an idea of how many were produced have a look at
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=daily+mail+cd&_sacat=0

Sometimes they weren't quite as you expected. For example a Blondie CD was all concert performances.
    Bizarrely Jean Michel Jarre completely re-recorded Oxygene for a newspaper to give away
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygene-...885305?hash=item56e073fd39:g:TNwAAOSwU9NfI95w

Sometimes they were an exact copy of the original album in a cheap cardboard sleeve.

Many were compilations of the type you now get in the supermarket with five CDs for £5.99.
    Since the newspaper was about £2 those are actually cheaper CD wise.
    Two declining industries trying to support each other. I don't remember when I last bought a Sunday Newspaper.

When they were running, CDs were a staple of car boot sales. Somewhere I have a box of about 25 I bought for about £5 at a car boot sale.

10. Mister X

Found a new source of ads, from Singapore, newspapersSG! Unfortunately there is a watermark on the ads and sizing them is not possible so some are really small.

Here's some early Sanyos from 1972, they had at least four in the line up and I'm counting the top left suitcase turntable, how cool is that?

Sanyo Malaysia 1972.png

11. Mister X

Sanyo Mini & Slim Models from 1980, these are really nice tiny mono boxes, highly recommended. Sanyo had some really nice models around this time before the big budget models started hitting the streets.

Sanyo Mini & Slim 1980.png

12. Mister X

1975, this is when they started to get cool looking with VU meter and a robust military look.
    The Sanyo M2430

Sanyo M2430 1975.png

13. Mister X

From 1980 Sanyo M7700

Sanyo M7700 1980.png

14. Mister X

Sanyo TRC 3500 from 1980

Sanyo TRC 3500 1980.png

15. Mister X

Sanyo Boomboxes for Christmas 1979

Sanyo M9990 1979.png

16. Mister X

Sanyo M9970 from 1979

Sanyo M9997 1980.png

17. Mister X

Sanyo Christmas 1976, none of these ads have pricing, in the USA we would have had list price and the deep discount!

Sanyo Christmas 1976.png

18. Mister X

Sanyo 1981 M-Z Mono Boxes, I've never seen one of these, they look nice but this was around the time quality for most manufacturers started going down. Manufacturing also started moving outside of Japan, I bet these were made in Singapore or Malaysia.

SAnyo 1981 Monos.png

19. Mister X

Sanyo C7 and a couple mini-stereos for Christmas 1981

Sanyo Christmas 1981.png

20. Mister X

Big sale 1981!

Sale 1981.png