Restoring and Fixing Up My New Sony WM-D6C

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by George Bond, Sep 7, 2024.

1. George Bond

George Bond New Member

Hey all!

I am new here and to this hobby as a whole, so I wanted to ask you "gurus" for some tips and recommendations. I got myself a Sony WM-D6C, which is in a great condition and has 0 visual damage, however, I assume that because of its age, this may not be the case on the inside.

So far I have found one issue, which is that the auto shut-off feature doesn't work when the cassette reaches the end. Most of the times the play button doesn't pop out and the motor keeps working, or at least trying to based on the slight vibrations and quiet mechanical noise. Anyone has any ideas what the problem may be and whether it's an easy fix I can do myself or should I give it for repairs to someone else? Also, what tools would I need?

Lastly, if you have any maintenance tips and recommendations I need or should do right now to prevent any future "surprises" and to get it even a little closer to its old glory, please do let me know.

Sincerely,
    George Bond

P.S. I had to make this thread because I accidentally made one in the boombox section and not Walkman. The help is still needed though.

2. Chen Bin

Chen Bin New Member

It may be fixed by replacing the main belt.
    You can first search for related videos on YouTube as a reference. Then, you can try removing the back cover yourself, unscrewing the screws on the circuit board, and flipping the circuit board over to expose the mechanical parts and the main belt. During this process, you may be able to assess whether you are capable of replacing the main belt. If you decide to replace it yourself, be mindful that the washer can easily fly off. It’s best to place a piece of transparent tape over it during disassembly.

3. dotneck335

dotneck335 Active Member