Restoring bad prerecorded cassettes

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by walkman archive, Sep 21, 2023.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

While talking in a spanish forum, someone gave us an idea on how to restore prerecorded cassettes that have aged badly or simply are worn, broken,...
    What he does is to record the same album in a new type I or II cassette and the he replaces the magnetic tape inside.
    But the interesting thing is that he doesn't open the shell, he just pulls out the tape until the leader tape, cut, paste the new one. Then full rolls it inside until the end, paste the other end to the leader tape and... that's all!

Here are two photos he posted:

sustituyendo la cinta Manuhr.jpg

sustituyendo la cinta 02 Manuhr.jpg

Curious, huh? Who wants to try?

Mister X, Emiel and Valentin like this.
  2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I did restore pre-recorded cassettes myself in the past as had some which left a lot of oxide and residue on the head and pinch roller after just one play.
    However, never thought of this process I always opened the shell to do the restoration.

My process is the following:
    - remove the hub with tape spooled on it and insert a new hub together with tape, attaching the tape to the original leader tape;
    - assemble the shell temporarily and record side A leaving a couple of extra minutes if needed for side B;
    - then cut the tape to that length in order to not have extra tape as this would require FF after playing which is annoying;
    - attach the second original hub to the cut tape and assemble the shell;
    - record side B;

Will try this process in the future, curious how much it would take. The hardest part I see is spooling all the new tape back into the shell...

Thanks for sharing !

3. wheaties1909

wheaties1909 New Member

Thanks for sharing. I have done this process myself a number of times. Labor of love. It takes time to complete, but for an album you find worth it, its a worthwhile project that gives you another excuse to listen to the entire album (again) during re-recording! I usually start by re-recording side 1 of the donor tape in it's shell, trim to length and record side 2, then finally transplant the tape to the desired factory album shell. To my ears, I've improved the quality of recording in every instance.

4. walkman archive

How did you manage to open it without cracking it? It's easy when its screwed but when it's glued...
    So, in the end you finish with the new hub together with the original hub in the same original shell?

5. Valentin

I open the shell using a thin blade (X-Acto or scalpel) starting from the opening for the head/capstans.

In rare cases it can happen that the seam of the shell does open evenly and it breaks a couple of milimeters away from the seam (usually in one of the corners),
    but that isn't a problem as the break line will be almost invisible after glueing the shell back.

In the end, I finish with both original hubs. After recording side A and cutting the new tape to length, I attach the second original hub. At this point the shell can be re-assembled.
    For re-assembly I use liquid type super glue on the 4 dowel pins where the screws would normally go or somewhere in that area as some cassettes may not have 4 pins.

Here is a video showing the process:

6. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

if a cassette is to old broken out for the rubbish it goes lads lol

7. walkman archive

Thanks for the video, Valentin. Very well made.
    However, I still don't get the whole process: when do you record and replace the original for the new tape? In your explanation you don't tell when do you do that, nor in the video (maybe I missed that). So in the video seems that you just cut the original tape, open the shell, stick it back to where it was and glue it again.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I think it should be done is (but I'm thinking in other methods also):
    1. Take a new tape and record the album
    2. Open the new tape and take the hub with all the tape in it. Cut the tape.
    3. Open the prerecorded tape and get all the tape in one hub, by cutting the tape.
    4. Replace the original with the new hub and tape.
    5. Stick the tape to the leader.
    6. Wind it to the other side. Cut the tape
    7. Wind the original hub. Replace the new hub with the original one-
    8. Stick the tape in this other end.
    9. Glue the shell.
    And that's all, right?

8. Valentin

Video isn't mine, I just linked it for reference to illustrate how the case is opened.

The logic in your steps is correct, only problem is this: if you record the new cassette on both sides before actually cutting it you will end up having more tape than you actually need.
    Most pre-recorded tapes are shorter than 60-min or 90-min blank tapes, so in order to not have a long blank area at the end of each side I cut the tape after recording side A.
    Will describe the steps again in more detail:

1. Take a new blank cassette and remove the left-hand hub together with tape spool and attach it to the right-hand original empty spool.
    2. Put the 2 hubs back into a shell (doesn't matter which one, for convenience I use the screwed one) and record side A.
    3. Caculate the total running length of side A and side B and compare them. Sometimes side B has 1-2 minutes more than side A, in which case leave 1-2min of extra blank tape before cutting.
    4. Cut the tape to the length I obtained in previous step and discard the rest.
    5. Attach the second original hub to the already recorded side A tape.
    6. Now that we have both hubs and the new tape (cut to correct length) we can put them in the original shell.
    7. Glue the shell back and record side B.

Hope the steps are more clear now, I realise the initial description was a bit too vague.

So I record side A after I attached the original right-hand side hub to it (together with its leader tape).
    This part I do in the blank cassette shell as being screwed it's easier to assembly and disassembly (as I need to diassemble again to attach 2nd hub).
    And side B I record after the second hub is attached and shell is ready for final assembly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  9. walkman archive

Aha, I thought it was you.

Yep, I forgot to specify how to deal with that but your steps looks ok. The problem is with winding the tape. I guess if I have a winder it would be easy, because doing manually with a BIC looks veeery boring and tiring.