Sanyo JJ-F6

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by mankamaz, May 27, 2018.

1. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    I want to show this little walkman, a Sanyo JJ-F6 (from the quarter series, maybe the smaller walkmans ever made) it has been used but, fortunately doesn´t have any scratches

The belts are worn, but the radio section works pretty good and the sound is loud and powerful,

If anyone has its service manual, or has experience rebelting this unit, please let me know

rgds
    sanyo jj f6 095.jpg

Attached Files:

ianthepostie likes this.
  2. Costa32

Costa32 Member

Thats a very rare unit in beautiful condition... even without a service manual i would risk on opening it and see what i could do to replace the belts, unless it has some soldering points to remove from the mainboard in order to get it fully opened.

i would do everything i could to get it running again for shure.

Good find!

3. mankamaz

Thanks for your comment Costa32!!

I'll open it to see how it looks

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow that is immaculate and well worth a repair. Aiwa made some classy units.

5. Costa32

Costa32 Member

If you ever do it, post some photos then... im curious...

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Its a beautiful and hard to find walkman specially with its original box :thumbup:

7. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I changed the belt in my Sanyo JJ-P101 without any soldering or service manual. I was able to lift the circuit board up just enough for me to gently hook in a new belt with a pair of tweezers. It was very fiddly though and I nearly gave up a few times! The only bad thing that happened was that I lost a screw!

8. mankamaz

Thanks ianthepostie!!

I´ll try to do and come back to tell you:thumbsup:

9. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

Hi there !!
    I'm happy to see the Sanyo branded version of this model.

I have several of these units, from two different North American companies which Sanyo sold to but were rebranded.

I've been successful in reviving each one I have found , 0ne I found new in box like yours, and of course they all share
    the most common of problems, bad / melted belt.

Another common problem when you have the tape section working is the continuous play / auto reverse.
    The tiny mechanism inside jams due to un-used and all needs to be lightly lubricated.
    The remedy to keep these operational is to play them every once and a while.

I have a source for the proper extremely small square cut belts , they are not expensive. No other belt will work in this unit.

I know these inside and out intimately and have swapped entire parts out in broken ones to make a functional one..
    had found the ribbon to the radio section broken in one and took from another one.. with success.

The pinch rollers and other tiny components have to be examined closely as they are crucial to how this unit performs.

The design is actually very basic but beautifully elegant which makes these a joy to work on.

The main difference of these let's say from a JJ-P4 is the body of this is a plastic of some sort, so making it a lighter unit.
    This is harder to work on than a JJ-P4 .
    If you need help bringing yours back to life, I can offer you my services.

When working , these are some of the best portables of that era, a real gem.

So I'm curious what else came in your box?

In the one I found boxed, it included what you have, a nice suede pouch to carry the tape player in,
    some ear buds, a rechargeable battery stick, the extra AA adaptor, a wall adapter. The old rechargeable battery actually still worked for a few weeks.

10. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

This unit is a much different beast.. one has to totally take apart to change belt. No way to do so with 'tweezers'. Keep a magnet or dish around so you don't lose tiny screws.

11. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

How did you get around the plate that covers the fly wheel ? That has to be removed to install a belt as the circuit board lifts up like on a hinge ... are you sure you're talking about the 101? It appears to be same mechanism as JJ-P6

12. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

This is the Sanyo JJP 101 with the board removed. I got a belt from Marian which was actually for a JJ P5 IMG_E7170.JPG IMG_7167.JPG but it turned out to fit this one quite well.

13. SeanMT

SeanMT Member

I remember when I had to replace the belts on my jj-p101 how ever it still had problems afterwards

14. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

did you change your comment? cause it is the JJP 101 :)

15. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

Yes , looks 'similar' to the JJ-F4 - F6 . But there are major differences as well, many circuits are different and alternate components used for similar functions..

I was amazed to hear you installed the belts with tweezers without removing the circuit board, but I really warn against doing that as you can crack the board and some of the smaller trace circuits as well as the tiny screws holding the board in.
    You figured out how to lift it up, that is the proper way. Some JJ models in the range also have tiny wires on top of the circuit board when you remove the back cover , some need desoldering to remove board.

16. scottsasonic

scottsasonic New Member

The proper belt is the same for possibly the whole range of JJ's from this era. Some sony's use them as well as micro-cassette recorders.