Sencor "series 65"

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Gonçalo Dumas, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

In lack of any other documentation, I call this setup the "Sencor Series 65", due to the prefix in all models.
    • Sencor Model SA-6530 - Stereo Amplifier,
    • Sencor Model SD-6550 - Stereo Cassette,
    • Sencor Model ST-6540 - Stereo Tuner.
    After the initial clean up.
    IMG_20210210_182422.jpg

After the thorough clean up.
    (Ammonia for the first cleanup, and either very fine car polish or 'duraglit' applied with the finger tips for the last cleanup)
    IMG_20210210_213011.jpg

Sencor Model SA-6530 - Stereo Amplifier
    IMG_20210210_223751.jpg

IMG_20210210_223315.jpg

IMG_20210210_223335.jpg

IMG_20210210_223355.jpg

IMG_20210210_223530.jpg

Sencor Model SD-6550 - Stereo Cassette
    (notice top cover with slots for the feet of the device on top)
    IMG_20210210_224353.jpg

IMG_20210210_223900.jpg

IMG_20210210_224026.jpg

Sencor Model ST-6540 - Stereo Tuner
    (notice top cover with slots for the feet of the device on top)
    IMG_20210210_224931.jpg

IMG_20210210_224452.jpg

IMG_20210210_224503.jpg

IMG_20210210_224609.jpg

Working.
    IMG_20210210_232352.jpg

Among siblings.
    IMG_20210210_225237.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    lupogtiboy, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  2. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

I do think these are somewhat Aiwa clones, sold for other brands to resell, Aiwa was famous for this and their 22, 30 and 50 clones are all over the place. Basf, Uher, etc...

Here the most striking similarities are the radio display glass, similar to the R22 Stereo Tuner, the buttons are also somewhat similar in terms of moulding, the extruded aluminium faceplates, etc...

The tape mechanism is reversed to that of the Aiwa 22 and 30 series, the eject mechanism switch is different and the buttons are in a different order.

Overall, this is a simple but high-quality device, the dials are aluminium and they even have felt protection.
    I'm available to photograph any other details if need so.

As for the gallery in the first post, I haven't figured out how to place the pictures in a more streamlined way, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    lupogtiboy and Jorge like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great equipment! Those are non-existent over here but the multi-voltage gives me hope. I don't see any AIWA in them but I might be wrong, don't most AIWA Units have toroidal transformers? In the USA they have to put the country of origin, I wonder where these were made, I'll try to find some newsprint on them.

What unit is the Pioneer? I've been posting ads down in the mini-stereo thread and there's a few Pioneers but not many....yet...

Gonçalo Dumas likes this.
  4. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Yes, you might be right.
    Maybe it's just that Aiwa design philosophy was hot at the moment and some of the clues were used here.
    Either way, we know Sencor rebadged devices built in Japan, so we still have to figure out who built this set.
    Maybe the PCBs and general layouts can remind someone that's more knowledgeable in this field.

5. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos, that's an interesting set. I suspect Sencor contracted with Aiwa for your units, but provided them with their own design for the control layout and faceplates.

There were 3 categories of European brands. First is the ones like Grundig and Philips and SABA and RFT who actually built their products in Europe (at least until the mid-80s, when they were all forced to outsource production to Asia (often to Malaysia or Singapore, since by that time Japan had become too expensive).

Second are the "fake brands" (usually store or catalog brands) like Germany's "Palladium" and England's "Saisho", who took pre-existing Asian products and merely slapped their name on them. I call them "fake brands" because they did not employ any designers or engineers of their own. Just businessmen.

The third category is brands like Sencor who provided their own designs to Asia. For example the Sencor S4800 and S5000 are very unique designs that were never shared with any other brand, to my knowledge. The S5000 in particular is unique because it uses discrete amplifiers instead of the cheaper integrated amp chips found in every other boombox.

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I am wondering if it might have actually been made in Switzerland, maybe using imported parts like the deck. I have said before how in the 1980s companies like Aiwa set up factories in the U.K. to avoid European import duties. Switzerland used to have its fair share of electronics companies. I have actually been to this one https://www.gmdu.net/corp-810266.html
    In terms of things I own made in Switzerland, besides the obvious Swatch watches, my Bosch Hedge Cutter bought about 20 years ago was made there.
    To show the type of high end products the Swiss were capable of making
    https://techmonitor.ai/techonology/silicon_graphics_to_manufacture_in_switzerland
    Of course back then the manufacturing location you would have been least likely to think of was China.

p.s. I wonder if you realise that you can put photos directly into a post rather than via the media gallery?

7. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

I went back looking for any reference to Japan, and sure enough, I found none on the outside labels.

I'll be taking a careful look at the PCB when I return from the summer vacation.

Sencor Model SD-6550 - Stereo Cassette
    IMG_20210812_082153.jpg

Sencor Model ST-6540 - Stereo Tuner
    IMG_20210812_082309.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  8. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

You're right, some Japanese radios were assembled in Nigeria and Venezuela to avoid import restrictions. But I didn't think it happened in the UK due to higher labor costs.

This particular Sencor is the only one I've seen that didn't say made in Japan.

9. Longman

I have a 1970s National Panasonic radio made in Iran !

As for U.K. manufacturing here is news from Aiwa.
    https://www.eetimes.com/aiwa-to-join-contract-manufacturing-market-as-a-result-of-the-slowdown/#
    Unfortunately Google searches usually find the stories about the factories closing down.
    Something that is a success story is the fact that all Raspberry Pi computers are made by Sony in what was a TV factory in Wales.
    Many of the factories were located in places with high unemployment attracted by Government grants and persuasion by Margaret Thatcher (who at the same time wanted to close unionised industries like coal mining. There was a row about that this week with PM Boris Johnson claiming it had helped the environment.)

A
    n undated list of Japanese companies in Wales. Not all were manufacturing.
    http://aitech.ac.jp/~yoshiga/WALES/JAPANESEFIRMS2.html

The most popular products were TVs and VCRs. Sony, Sanyo, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Sharp all manufactured them in the U.K. for export all over Europe. However it is quite easy to find Aiwa Hi-Fi equipment made here.

10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Do you think any of the parts originated in the UK, or were they all shipped in from Japan?

11. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Yes, I do get your point. I have an aiwa setup built in the UK. The MX-70 pictured in the center of my "man-cave". But then, because it was a politics move, it would surely have some kind of "Made in the UK" sticker or mention.

12. Longman

It depends on the product. Many of the VCRs were probably just screwed together. Things like Television tubes were more likely to be made here. My Toshiba CRT TV had a Mullard (a Philips subsiduary) made in U.K. CRT. I suspect that the reason they kept theMullard name for so long was that it would have looked a bit strange to have a Guarantee for a Philips CRT in with the instructions for a Toshiba TV. Back to that era one of the few things left is a large Nissan factory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Motor_Manufacturing_UK
    At one point they exporting certain models from it to Japan!

13. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

On the other hand, if it was built in Switzerland, it would surely have a “Swiss made” reference.
    Not sure if I’m easily impressed, but I went back looking for any info on the PCBs or chassis, and it is really well put together.

14. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Here are some additional pictures.

Nothing on the bottom chassis
    IMG_20210813_215944.jpg

Although these feet remind me of my Sony late seventies setup
    IMG_20210813_220230.jpg

Nothing behind the extruded aluminum fascia
    IMG_20210813_215858.jpg

IMG_20210813_220006.jpg

Discrete NPN and PNP transistors
    IMG_20210813_220430.jpg

IMG_20210813_220448.jpg

Lots of fuses, three sets in pairs. #1
    IMG_20210813_220507.jpg

IMG_20210813_220617.jpg

IMG_20210813_220624.jpg

Hirakawa cable, now here's a typical swiss name, not.
    IMG_20210813_220656.jpg

Beefy protection around the power switch
    IMG_20210813_220752.jpg

Attached Files:

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Gonçalo Dumas - I must admit that I am looking for your Swiss-watch winder as a background for this Sencor... At least for when I were into that kind of collection, that's when I discovered Sencor boombox... and while that short-lived obsession with Swiss watches lasted, S-4800 was my favorite! Lucky me, I did not know about this beauty!

Do you have any idea - which speakers were in the package?

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Just got back from travelling so my memories foggy but I think down in the newspaper ads there's a strong Sencor/Aiko Connection, I'd put Aiko down as a possible builder, they also released a mini-stereo although it looks much different. AIWA Stereos made in the UK seem to only have a small square sticker that was affixed to the front face. For awhile lot's of equipment was made there, or at least final assembly, more information is buried in the boombox archeaology thread. I'm looking at the back of my AIWA 22 on my desk and they're kind of close but I doubt AIWA would re-engineer the circuit boards, they didn't do that for the other AKAs.

As an interesting sidenote, I have a Sony PS-5011 Turntable from the mid-70's, it was made by Lenco, in Switzerland, famous for their idler-driven tables.