SHARP 10P-28G: The TV Boombox

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Retro Audio Museum, Apr 7, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

Portable cassette recorders with fitted TV sets, popularly known as "combo units," were a unique product of the 1980s. These devices offered the convenience of portability, allowing users to carry both a cassette recorder and a TV in one compact unit. This was particularly useful for travelers or individuals who wanted entertainment on the go. Today we would like to introduce you to this rare SHARP 10P-28G, made in Japan in 1980.

Sharp03.jpg

Imagine yourself in the beginning of the 80-s. You are planning your weekend with a boat trip, or caravaning, and you will take this SHARP with you. You will enjoy audio and video content wherever you go, whether watching TV shows, a football match, or dancing to music on cassette tapes. You will not miss the news on the radio as well. Combining a cassette recorder with a TV set provides multiple functionalities in a single device, reducing the need to carry separate units.

However, most portable TV sets had limited channel reception capabilities, often only able to pick up a few local channels. The same situation is for this SHARP: for best reception on the VHF Channels (2-12) and UHF Channels (21-69), the user must adjust the length and direction of the telescopic rod antenna. The higher the UHF channel number, the shorter the antenna length. The VHF antenna is the same as in the case of the UHF antenna. This restricted the variety of content available to users compared to larger TVs with better reception.

While the cassette recorder provides the convenience of recording audio content, the recording quality is inferior compared to dedicated audio recording devices. Combining a cassette recorder with a TV set made these devices bulkier and less convenient than modern portable gadgets. They were often heavier, making them less practical for everyday use or carrying.

The technology used in these devices was not as advanced as modern portable electronics, resulting in limitations such as shorter battery life, poorer audio/video quality, and fewer features compared to today's portable devices.

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I always wonder how many were bought by / for students. Before going to college my sister got bought a Sanyo Black and White TV and a GEC Radio.
    However looking at the price in Argos you could have bought a TV and a Radio Cassette for less money
    1981 Sharp.jpg

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen that model before but it's really nice looking. I was just gifted a smaller TV boombox I'll post in the TV on the radio thread. I can broadcast to my TVs (there's no OTA signal anymore), it would be cool at your museum to have these little gadgets playing something.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  4. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

This is exactly what happens in the museum! A special corner displays TV combi devices; a few are connected to the videotape recorder. When I have visitors, I activate the system.

IMG20240416061303.jpg

IMG20240416061330.jpg

AE_Stereo likes this.