Sharp JV-AV1 Walkman

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by lupogtiboy, Jul 5, 2018.

1. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I've just won this on eBay, but it plays tapes too fast! I can't find a service manual online (quick search at work tbh!) so if anyone has any ideas about how to adjust it, I would appreciate it! I've also got to get the TV section working, if you adjust the brightness control slider, it flashes some lines across the screen and not much else. I know I won't get any TV image as this is analog and we're digital only in the UK, but it would be nice to just get the 'snow storm' screen if nothing else!

I'll try and post some pictures soon!

Thanks in advance!

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

What color is your JC-AV1? Reds and whites are hard to find.
    I never opened any of my JC-AV1 walkmans. Unfortunately I do not have the service manual. If you decide to open your walkman please take some pictures.

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

LCD TVs often won't display anything if they aren't getting a signal. Try wrapping a lead from one of your consoles with an RF output around the antenna. When the gameboy was still on the drawing board a friend had TV tennis working on a 2" Citizen TV.

4. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Mine is a black version, which I know is the easiest colour to find, but seeing as they are still pretty rare I grabbed it while the price was good on a buy it now. I never thought of trying a games console on it, I've ordered a 3.5mm jack to rf adaptor so I'll give that a try when it arrives. It looks like the screen is working, but as you say, I don't think LCD's display an image unless they have something to display. I re-watched Techmoans video last night, his screen looks to be in the same condition as mine so hopefully it all works. I do need to figure out why the tape deck is running fast in both directions, it works ok but every song sounds like The Chipmunks are singing it!