Show us your Midi/Mini systems here!

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Recaptcha, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

I LOVE Midi systems, they are small, well-built, and in many cases just awesome to use. The early 80s models especially offer the quality of full size systems with a special charm that only comes with the early 80s Japanese market. If you've never had the opportunity to own/use a top notch midi system, you are missing out for sure.

I just had the opportunity to finish piecing together my favorite midi system, the Kenwood ROXY W7 or the M-7G as it was known here in America:

1.jpg 20210414_110729.jpg 20210414_110927.jpg

This system consists of the A-7G, T-7G, DP-7S, X-7WG, P-7G, GE-700, and the S-5G speaker system. These components are all full metal design, computer controlled/synchronized, and have a terrific sound. System was released in late 1984 and sold through late 1985.

This system is about 13" wide, so it counts more as a midi system, not a mini or micro system.

But enough about my system, I want to see YOUR midi/mini/micro systems!

So, what mini system(s) do you have? We want to see 'em, so please post some glamor shots below! Make sure to include some model numbers, year, size, and if it's modular. Also, feel free to talk about sound too! :nodding:

LIVO, Jorge, Mister X and 1 other person like this.
  2. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

OK, here goes! This is my little Midi collection. Firstly the Sony D501. This was my first "proper" hifi back in 1988 when I was 16. Still works beautifully and sounds great - very loud!
    P2203633.JPG

After a few years I felt the need for something better so I upgraded to the Sony MHC2700. This was a big investment for me in 1993. 600 UK pounds from the Sony centre at Lakeside! It was recently serviced with new belts and a new laser and makes a pretty decent recording. IMG_3551.JPG

A few years ago I came across this Sony La Scala system on marketplace for 40 pounds! It was in a terrible state, caked with nicotine and dust and full of cat hairs! Amazingly it worked fine when I plugged it in. I had it serviced professionally and it now takes pride of place in the living room.
    IMG_8083.JPG IMG_3553.JPG

Recaptcha, LIVO, Jorge and 2 others like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The Sony La Scala system really tests the definition of a Mini System I suggested of comparing it to an LP
    Sony la scala.jpg
    Someone is selling a system complete with a Technics SL7 turntable on Ebay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-La-...806278?hash=item28ab30fd06:g:DxwAAOSw7hReWsA8
    A very optimistic price for a system with a missing knob.

The SL7 is 315mm wide which is about the limit of how small you can make a turntable without resorting to the overhanging record trick.

The La Scala is 310mm wide although the rounded corners make it look narrower.
    I wonder if there was ever a La Scala turntable

LIVO, Recaptcha and Mister X like this.
  4. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

E18CF7BA-BF27-4AEA-9430-3F32ABF195BC.jpeg 6AE77C11-B60C-476D-85F4-C22072437339.jpeg D257C785-F9A7-402D-9090-BDC4A768E082.jpeg I have 3 mini systems from the late 1970's/ early 80’s - AIWA 22, AIWA 30 for which I also have a 2nd power amp as they are switchable to mono, and the main system I use which is the AUREX (Toshiba) System 15, with 2 power amps running as mono-blocks, and all the rare additional units, including the AD-15 ADRES (Aurex's take on Dolby), AT-12 Timer, and (not in the stack) the ST-S20 Tuner. I run this with some Mission 70 MKII speakers, plus a Creek CD43 MKII CD player, and occasionally a Revolver turntable with Linn Basic LVX arm, and love it!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Ducar, LIVO, Jorge and 2 others like this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great thread! I have a bunch of mini-systems that I'll get around to posting, I hope you don't mind if I post some articles, I've been clipping them for awhile waiting for a thread like this.

Popular Mechanics Mini 1.png
    Popular Mechanics Mini 2.png

Recaptcha likes this.
  6. Mister X

AKAI M370 from Electronics Australia 1990

AKAI M370 Electronics Australia 1990.png

lupogtiboy and Recaptcha like this.
  7. Mister X

TEAC J-Compo 51, Electronics Today International, 1985

TEAC J-Compo 51 Electronics Today International, Australia 1985.png

Recaptcha likes this.
  8. Recaptcha

I totally agree, this has been an awesome thread so far! Excited to see more midi goodness!

I love the articles, and I especially love the Kenwood UD-7 blurb. If you got any other articles, or better yet, some midi systems, let's see 'em!

9. Mister X

Sorry I haven't posted any of my mini systems yet, when I get some more time, spring hit and I'm working on the dandylions and buckthorn.
    Meanwhile, here's the JVC F3000 from 1997! $1250 USD, this was a big expense but I bet it got discounted pretty good when the new systems came over.

JVC F3000 1997 1.png
    JVC F3000 1997 2.png

Jorge and LIVO like this.
  10. Mister X

A great article on Akihabara and mini stereos from 1979. What is that Sanyo? It looks like a UHER......

Screenshot_2021-05-01 HiFi-Stereo-Review-1979-04 pdf 2.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-01 HiFi-Stereo-Review-1979-04 pdf 1.png

LIVO and Jorge like this.
  11. Mister X

Some of these look ok but I've never seen any up close, this is when they really started to get cheap, aiwa was sold to Sony and they pumped out the mini-systems, aiwa actually had much better sales under Sony Leadership but it was mostly entry-level equipment.

Stereo-Review-1993-08 1.png
    Stereo-Review-1993-08 2.png
    Stereo-Review-1993-08 3.png
    Stereo-Review-1993-08 4.png
    Stereo-Review-1993-08 5.png

lupogtiboy, LIVO and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Most of those look kick A$$, stop posting this gear Mr x, it only makes me want to buy more lad lol

this is partly why i won't go on facebook, things are so much cheaper there and plenty to go around

Mister X likes this.
  13. Recaptcha

Me: Show us your midi systems!~ :wavey:

@Mister X: *Shows us all the midi systems we COULD have* :boogie:

:loldiag:

CDV and Mister X like this.
  14. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I'd love to have the MD player to add to my unit but they are more rare than hens teeth!

15. Mister X

My little JVC A-M1 from 1980, a statement piece with a heavy duty build, the front panel is cast iron not extruded aluminum like most panels from the time. This retailed for $600 USD and other options were a digital tuner and maybe a pre-amp but I've never seen a photo of the preamp or any other accessories from this line.

This is a 50 watt power house, the front door opens to expose more controls and it has feet on the front to tilt it up. I should have used a Matchbox Car to show the size, it's about 10" across.

JVC A-M1.jpg

Jorge and LIVO like this.
  16. Papa

Papa Member

Nice looking piece Mister X.
    If it were mine I would have a pair of Minimus 7 hooked up & rock out.

17. Mister X

I didn't think about including the speakers, I moved it to take the photo but it was hooked up to Minimus 3.5's in the other room! I love those little speakers, you used to be able to find them for a few dollars and they are perfect for testing stereo equipment.

18. LIVO

LIVO Active Member

19. LIVO

LIVO Active Member

JVC MX-90bk de 1991!!!
    Son et rendu audio incroyables
    sans aucune concurrence en mini composant, peut-être Technics en 1992/93

20. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I am a massive fan of the Sony FH units and have a few of these now. I also like the MHC systems too, I mut get round to posting some pictures up one-day.

The thread is full of awesomeness!