Silver (Albino?) Aiwa HS-P202 MIII

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by quaz30, Mar 3, 2021.

1. quaz30

quaz30 Active Member

Hi,
    I recently spotted this Aiwa on German eBay and decided to buy it immediately. It's been almost 5 years since my interest in portable stereos began, but I've never in my life seen a silver HS-P202 MIII before.
    I know the P202 MkI came in black, white and red, but all MkIII units were black, as far as I know.

[​IMG]

This silver version has all grey text and the mechanism buttons are grey, as well as the plastic frame going around the whole unit.

[​IMG]

Even more interestingly, I haven't been able to catch it in any catalogues (that I was able to find) or see a single other picture of it online.
    Even the glorious Aiwa collection our member "vrailxi" posted in 2015 (http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=447581432742880205&board_oid=193392314111653483) does not show a silver P202.

I'm certainly not old enough to remember these being in stores, but does anyone recall ever seeing one of these advertised? Is this a prototype? When I bought it, it had this long barcode label on the rear panel, with magnetised strips of metal inside the paper:

[​IMG]

In any case, I would greatly appreciate getting some more info on this special unit.

Jorge likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I checked all the usual places and didn't see any silver. It looks like AIWA went to all black models pictured in the catalogs around 87. If the model had different colors a little round circle was in the photo, I couldn't find any other colors for this model.

AIWA HS-P202MkIII.jpg

3. quaz30

quaz30 Active Member

Exactly, there is no mention of a silver model anywhere, and yet I'm holding it right now. This has to be some sort of a prototype, considering that barcode on the back.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Your 2nd two photos aren't showing up for me, just the top one. If there's a bar code you may be able to get more information with a phone app, I watch flippers on YouTube scanning bar codes to find sales data.