Songs you hated in the 80's but now love!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mister X, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

There was so much music in the 80's and people loved to stay in their camp, even movies had the gangs divided by the music they listened to. Over the years a lot of friends and family have come out with their love of songs I know they hated, I'll start with one, for some reason it's been getting a lot of airplay lately, I think because someone recently covered it but the original sounds much better.

2. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

I always liked this song. Kate Bush as a talented artist: songwriter, singer, dancer.

I cannot name a single song that I hated then and that I like now.

Papa and Mister X like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I'm still not a big fan of that one. To me every song on Kate's first album was better than anything she produced subsequently.
    Check this one out from "The Kick Inside".

I'm having the same problem as @CDV. I do remember being disappointed with the Blondie Autoamerican album then liking it far more after a few plays, although I would never have bought it if I had hated it.

I can nominate a song we will be hearing lots of soon which I have always hated

Mister X likes this.
  4. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the Paul McCartney Christmas song, absolute steaming pile of turd. It's like he was down the pub one evening, Slade came on and he thought 'ARRRGGGHHH!! I need to write a Xmas song' and shat it out in 2 mins on the back of a beer coaster.

Can't say there are any 80's songs that jump to mind that I hated back then but like now, if they were bad songs then, they still are now!

5. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Not fair :) I can name a zillion songs that I hated then and hate now. This topic is much more restrictive. Maybe I can find one after all...

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I saw this on MTV in the middle of the night when it first came out, thought it was pretty generic and the video was goofy, but really got to like Dokken with their next album. Dokken loves Minnesota and comes here all the time, I've seen him and the band several times over the years.

7. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

nena. 99 red balloons.
    that song made me want to eat asbestos and rub my face against sandpaper until i got down to the bone.
    i still actually hate it :D

Mister X likes this.
  8. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Do you know what is it about?

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

80-ies for me are now being felt like half-of-my-life: Graduation+University+Research-Institute+Move-to-Chicago-from-USSR. As one of the brightest Soviet comics once mentioned: when you are a child, there is an Infinity between your breakfast and going back to sleep... which collapses into Pay-Days... and then into Christmas Days when you get older ;) Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd was the tune I really hated around 1982-4, but since 1987 when I spent my whole monthly salary to buy LP and realized that 'the noise' which I thought was an artifact of the tapes is actually part of the music - Oh, Man!!! This revelation hit me like Salvador Dali paintings... Until nowadays, when I am more into Bruckner, Brahms and Mahler, WishYouWereHere is a tune I play at least once a year

RIM and Mister X like this.
  10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I actually like it. A bit like Martika "Toy Soilders" it is a catchy pop number with lyrics much deeper than you would suspect.
    While not about this specific incident
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident
    the idea that 99 red balloons could trigger Nuclear War was a reality in the 1980s.

11. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Yes.

CDV likes this.