SONY BC-7BT ??

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by TK421, Sep 24, 2020.

1. TK421

TK421 Member

Hiya,

I found these this week but I'm having a little trouble figuring it all out (please excuse the lack of knowledge)..
    One of the chargers is a SONY BC-7BT with a 5 and a 6WM switch, the other a BC7DY with a 6WM charge only. They both say NI-CD Charger. Does that exclude Ni-MH gumstick batteries? Can anyone explain the difference between a Ni-CD and a Ni-MH and the relation to these chargers?

Thanks for your help

IMG_0742.jpg IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0746.jpg

2. dksp

dksp New Member

Hi.
    When you charge a NiMH battery, you need an intelligent charger, that will cut off charging power when the battery is fully charged. Otherwise it will overcharge, overheat and brake.

NiCd batteries d'ont overcharge, so they need this, they will work with "dumb" chargers, with less electronics inside. Your two Sony chargers are dumb, so you shouldn't use them on NiMH batteries at all.

I bought a universal battery charger for this purpose of charging gumsticks, but they're useful for all kind of rechargeable batteries.

See here when I posted about it:
    Looking for a gumstick charger....please help

3. TK421

TK421 Member

Thanks for the info. I’d put an NiMH in one of the chargers but took it out when I saw your post.
    Most of these Sony batteries are pretty old anyway..