Sony DoDeCaHorn boomboxes

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by allan1836, Dec 17, 2020.

1. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Hi all ! Newbie here. I need your opinion on the Sony DoDeCaHorn boomboxes of the late 80"s specially the CFD-DW97. I hear comments they are also a beast like the Panasonic eggs. I have a chance to acquire one but can't audition it.
    [​IMG]

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

If the DoDeCaHorn boomboxes are in working condition, I recommend them. I have the two successors CFD-700 and CFD-900. Had to repair the cassette decks, as belts were loose and old grease was sticking. I also had to replace the woofer on the back side, as the edges were broken.
    EB7mzfJUIAY1Klk.jpg

On next picture is (beside others) my CFD-700 with added LED illumination.
    4 Ghettoblaster.jpg CFD-700 LED.jpg

They have a good sound with strong bass.

autoreverser, Mister X and allan1836 like this.
  3. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Thanks for the heads up on this DoDeCaHorn's (funny name). Are they better sounding than the Panasonic Cobra Eggs ? I have the Panasonic RX-DT7 and DT77 and so far they are the best sounding boomboxes I have heard (alongside the JVC Kaboom B90) . I would wish the Sony to be better sounding and sort of an upgrade.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Those are nonexistent over here but judging by the price they were a premium product. There might be some information on the Japanese Egg Website I posted in the Another Japanese Website Thread. Good Luck, Radio Raheem might have had one, he's a big fan of the Panasonics.

5. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Ah yes, radio raheem, he's got the TOTL Pana eggs . :omg: I wonder if he has tried a DoDeCaHorns.

6. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Allan lad, one answer, jvc rd md5 forget the rest lol.....i love my dt 9's though there is no doubt about that Sir:wink2

the dt9 sounds like a bloody good ghettoblaster...the jvc rd md5 sounds like a bloody good hifi lol

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    allan1836 and Mister X like this.
  7. Mister X

Radio, did you ever have a DoDeCaHorn? They seem to be one of the rarer high-end late 80's Sonys.

8. Radio Raheem

Never had one of these Mr x but they seem to be based on the same principal as the jvc hyper bass series which i have had dozens of and also i have had a few sonys

the same, the only one i have left is the jvc pc x 1000 which is the biggest of the bunch (its huge) and wouldn't be a fair comparison .....the others were great but ran out of puff at half volume unlike the pc x 1000 lad
    here is a pcx 1000 on ebay in case you haven't seen one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JV...450681?hash=item5b83b12d39:g:ezIAAOSwkQxa3UxT

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  9. Mister X

I've got it's little brother, I was surprised how good they sound and they aren't half bad looking.

10. Radio Raheem

they are great lad, i would take one over an m70 any day....there are some with 63 hz bro, those are the ones to get:wink:

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Oh, No: soapbox-shaped and CD?!!! Absolutely No-No for me :) I do not care how they sound, I have my main stereo to get me into the "Ultimate Sound"... bboxes must be different, for me they are the "Time Machine" (as in the movie Idiocracy) into the sounds of my 'youth' (should be pronounced as in My Cousin Vinnie) - For me BeeGees, Boney M, Eruption, etc sound their best through a cheap boombox :cool:

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  12. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

I finally gave in and got the CFD-DW97. A little smaller than my Pana eggs surprisingly because the Sony is a TOTL then. It has a higher power consumption at 43 watts but sound loudness wise I think the Pana eggs are a bit louder, hmmm ... Audition it for awhile and noticed some distortion already in the mids and bass at pass midway of the volume (which is by the way a motorized arm meter which is cool). I then opened the unit to clean it and notice that the front speakers are just a flimsy 7 watts each and the single sub at 15 watts ! I then changed the front full range speakers with a spare pair of a Sharp 15 watts fullrange of the same diameter but with bigger magnets and capacity. I plan also to change the subwoofer with a larger watts capacity soon. But for now the mere change of the front speakers produce a very big improvement sound and loudness wise. From a sort of mediocre performance it can now go side by side with my Pana eggs. The best thing I like about this DoDeCaHorns is the more natural and balanced sound without too much electronic or dsp processing. Sort of listening to a minimalist home system. So far so good. Now to buy a more robust sub for it. :nwink:

Mister X likes this.
  13. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

allan1836 likes this.
  14. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Had some time now, to work on an older and smaller DoDeCaHorn, that long time spent in the basement - the Sony CFD-D75. Of course not to compare with the CFD-900, but for its smaller size it has a nice sound. On the back side there is also a separate woofer, that can be controlled with a slider beside the volume slider. It has Line In and Line Out.
    As usual I added some LED's to have it not so boring dark black. The tuner dial also got a small LED.
    Sony CFD-D75 l.jpg

Sony CFD-D75 m.jpg

IMG_20210319_143642764_copy.jpg

Sony CFD-D75 o.jpg

Ready:
    Sony CFD-D75 a.jpg

Sony CFD-D75 j.jpg

Sony CFD-D75 k.jpg

Sony CFD-D75 c.jpg

Small video:

CDV and Mister X like this.
  15. Mister X

It's amazing how much life the lights give these old boxes. I have a feeling that they might have overused it if they had access to it back then.

Have your tried lighting the vents in the back? I can see colors bouncing off the walls to the music being an interesting effect.

16. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Good find. It is nice to watch vertical visible CD drive.

17. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    Mister X likes this.
  18. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Sony CFS-D10 DoDeCaHORN DoDeCa zone unboxing play Subwoofer Megabass cassette 13Sept24 (10:08) minutes