Sony Sterecorder 464-D: a complete portable stereo recorder.

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Retro Audio Museum, May 5, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

When in 1962 Sony introduced the new 464 sterecorders series to the public, the first phrase in the instruction manual says:
    You are now the owner of a complete music system that both records and plays 4-track Stereophonic tapes. The precision performance and professional features of the Sterecorder 464D will introduce you to an exciting new world of "living sound."

Sony 464-D 03.jpg

As a Sony triumph in tape recorder engineering, the new Sony 464 CS Sterecorder records and plays back stereo tapes with the professional purity of studio recording.
    The new Sony 464 CS was a completely self-contained stereo system with two microphones, two extended range stereo speakers, and such additional features as sound-on-sound recording, push button channel selection, dual recording indicators, automatic tape lifters, digital counter, pause control and FM stereo recording inputs.

Recording and playback preamps are built-in, and such features as sound on sound, language, and music training, two speeds, push button track selection and Sony precision engineering make this the most outstanding tape recorder value at $199.50 only.
    It's so easy to learn a foreign language with the Sony "464-SL." A flip of the student/teacher comparison switch will immediately guide you in pronouncing a foreign word or phrase properly.

Music students can perfect their lessons. simply with the professional sound-on-sound facilities, which make it possible for them to "sit in" or sing to their instructor's or favorite orchestra's accompaniment.

All of these educational features, plus the bonus of 4-track stereo recording and playback will provide lasting enjoyment for the entire family. The Sony "464-SL" is unsurpassed for unlimited versatility at school or home.

Offering the same basic features and specifications as the "464-SL", the compact Sony "464-D" is designed for custom stereo installations. Self-contained with stereo recording and playback pre-amplifiers, the "464-D" will complete your custom music system, equipped with Sony exclusive "channel integrator"

thid, Mister X and Jorge like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

$200, cars were only around $1200 back then, can you imagine a R2R for $10,000+ today?

Beautiful unit, thanks for sharing, I see all those slotted screws and remember what fun those were. It's really hard to tell but I'm guessing transistor? And how does the dual record work? Is that part of the play your describing?

thid and Retro Audio Museum like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

This is what the general public were buying from the Sears catalogue
    1962 tape.jpg
    I would guess the Sony would be bought by
    a) The type of person who spends $10000 on a computer today
    b) Places like schools and colleges

The bit about learning a language reminded me of the 1960s craze for schools to have "Language Laboratories" with twenty or more high quality reel to reel tape recorders in a room, one for each student. They recreated one in "The Crown" but here is a picture of the original
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/the-crown-charles-aberystwyth-welsh-16996256

You can't see it but there would be a tape recorder under each desk. By the 1970s most, including the one at the school I went to, had been abandoned as they realised a teachers time was better spent talking to the class in the language being learned than sorting out tape recorders.

thid, Mister X and Retro Audio Museum like this.
  4. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

It is on tubes/valves. As for the dual recording - it is about the indicators, magic eye level indicators, 6E-M5. If we are talking about the whole recording process for this Sony, here it is:
    001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  5. soluna

soluna Active Member

Interesting calculation for the inflation - by my meaning, an Europian pays 28 T $ for a new car - that means 4700 $ for the recorder. But you`re right - that`s a curious price - this you would pay for a Nakamichi Dragon today.
    And i was sitting in such a special language laboratory in school at that time in the 70s. We had a Tesla B57.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's not really a fair calculation, cars/trucks over here are super-expensive nowadays. 10 years ago you could get a work truck for $25,000 USD, now they're $65,000+ with a ton of blinge. The auto makers decided to up-scale everything and there's no more economy cars.

7. soluna

soluna Active Member

OK, and i think, if there are more of the "conservative" presidents like the orange-cutted-man in the next 50 years - then US will be the one and only country with such cars. But what will Walkmans or decks cost then ? Will you find good masters for repairing them ?