Sony TC-V7 cassette deck needs belts???

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Sony BBoy, May 2, 2020.

1. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Hi. I bought this complete system today for $40 locally. I knew the deck would probably need TLC like new belts. As suspected, play, FF, and rewind does not work. I can see that the spidles want to work but don't budge. The good news are.... the drawer works pretty good and the mechanism engages good too.

So my question is... has anyone ever attempted to replace the belts on this deck before? Was it relatively easy enough to do? Were the belts common types. I only tried doing this once on an older Yamaha tape many years ago with success, so I do have some minor skills LOL.

Would like any comments or advice form you guys.

20200502_161005.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

The system came with all user manuals and the stand. A video of the cassette deck in action.

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I would have a look in the service manual

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_tc-v7_sm.pdf/download.html

I have downloaded loads of manuals from elektrotanya. Note that it takes about a minute for the download link to appear.

The HiFi Engine also has a copy but you have to sign up to the site.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  4. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Thanks, it's been a while since I was on HiFi engine... good idea, i forgot about them !!

Never heard of elektrotanya... I'll try there first to see what's on there too.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice! Is there a component missing? It looks like something should be below the TT. That stand is really cool, AIWA was doing something similar, some of these systems went for decent money back then. I'm thinking that since the cassette deck slides, that the belt is nice and accessible on the bottom.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I was wondering if it is the correct turntable for the system.
    With a drawer loading cassette, you would think the correct turntable would also be drawer loading (one of Sony´s specialities).
    https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-fl77.shtml
    Good luck in finding one of those for $40 though.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  7. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Thanks Mister X. The space is probably for the matching equalizer, which I will look for. I see them often enough on eBay and other means. I have an early CD player that will fit in there too. It doesn't have the cool soft touch pad controls. I will see about what you said about the belts being accessible from below?

8. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Yes on that. I actually used to have both of those matching slide out TTs about 10 years ago. Should have kept them... :(
    I also had the ps-fs99 (Google pic of it below) which was the step up from the 77... I'm killing myself now for selling them. They both worked extremely well, so they were well made!
    maxresdefault-1.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  9. SONY-BOY

SONY-BOY Member

I also have a TC-V7 but it will be in deep storage so can not lay my hands on it or else I would investigate the easiness of belt replacement for you.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sony had some really cool looking tape decks, not like most but the one on here is really cool looking, I've got an FH-100W, the buttons are on the doors and it has that added coolness as well.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  11. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Thanks Sony-Boy. If you ever do, let me know. I will probably take a stab at it some day soon. I bought a giant bad of belts from China, hope there will be a few that fits.

I have 2 really cool Denon Cassematic-12 decks that work mechanically well, but the sound is not amazing. Perhaps a professional tune up is needed? You can see them sitting on the floor next to my Sony speaker. Below that is a video of it I uploaded to YouTube years ago.

20170515_111256.jpg

12. SONY-BOY

SONY-BOY Member

Tape decks of this period will be easy to demagnetize with a mains operated demanetiser. You can also check and adjust the azimuth while the machine is running. All you do is play a tape with some soothing music through headphones and turn one of the screws by the playback head platform until the sound quality is at its best to you. If you can not get to the screw while a tape is playing (which may be the case with the Cassematic), you will have to take the chassis out of the casing but this will be no real problem as these are low tech units.

Sony BBoy likes this.
  13. Sony BBoy

Sony BBoy Member

Thanks for the great tips!